• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

BABIES EYES..ADVICE

bunnymadhouse

Wise Old Thumper
ONE OF THE 4 BABIES RECENTLY BROUGHT IN WITH MUM LOOKS TO HAVE A PROBLEM WITH ITS EYES . WE ARE GUESSING THEY ARE AROUND 10 DAYS OLD AS THE OTHER 3 HAVE NOW OPENED THEIR EYES . THIS ONE THOUGH IS SMALLER AND STILL ONLY HAS PATCHY FUR . ITS EYES SEEM TO BE BULGING AND THEY ARE NOT EVEN SHOWING SOGNS OF OPENING .

ANY ODEAS AS WHAT COULD BE WRONG . ?

Does he look a little like this by any chance?

100_1114.jpg

My sweet baby Chance

We think Chance had abcesses instead of eyes :cry:

One evening his/her 'eye' (the biggest one) began to weep but he/she was never taken to the vets, died in agony over night :cry:

Oh my god, I can't even write about it without bursting into tears :cry: :cry: :cry:

I'd offered Chance a home 'cos I knew there was a chance of him/her being blind if he/she survived

Keep an eye on it and if you see any change, I'd go straight to the vet

I dont know whether it could have saved Chance if he went to the vet but You've got to try haven't you? :?

Might be more likely to get an answer on a breeding forum where they deal with more babies. I can post it for you if you like?

If theve only just started to open then the chances are that theres not too much damage done. Bath the eye in tepid water till you can open it. It needs to be opened then you can get the puss out. You will need drops for the eye so you will have to go to the vet as soon as possable. val

One of the litter of three days old babies I took in had this. His eye swelled and swelled instead of opening. I bathed it and got it open and the pus poured out:( It refilled the next day. The vet prescribed a tiny dose of baytril and I continued to bath it and after 4 days it had stopped producing pus and the ulceration (it was completely opaque when it opened) went after a week. The vet had not expected it to clear up. Now he only has a tiny white dot in his eye. He also had an abnormal fur pattern with none around his head or on parts of his body. Two of his litter mates were the same but they have now got full coats and have grown well. He is a tiny runt:( At 2 and a half months he is no bigger than a baby of 4 weeks :? Baytril is not good for young animals but the vet decided the infection was so bad it was warranted, however his lack of growth could be attributed to this. He has since had a nasty white nasal discharge and had to have another course of baytril :cry: Such a sweet heart though.

capricorn.jpg

bathed its eyes open but they stuck back up so bathed them open again .

will go have a word with vets about drops/ointment first thing monday morning .

Angie

Back