• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Not eating

Vicki

Alpha Buck
Well this morning when i went to give Harvey and Lola their pellets, i normally rattle the pellets in the bowl and they both go mad ready for them, well this time only Harvey did. Lola just sat downstairs and didnt move. So i went to give her a pellet though the bars and she just sniffed it and turned away. That isnt normal for her. So i went to give her some hay which she goes mad for aswell, she just sniffed it and that was it. Harvey is still his normal self.

Yesterday i went to Harrods for the day and left my brother to feed them at about 6 like normal. Im wondering if this may have spooked her as she's not really used to him? All the veg had been eaten by the time i got home, and she did seem her normal self last night.

Is there anything else i could try to tempt her with? I dont know what to do. I have an appointment at 12:45 to have an ingrown toenail done (gross i know!) But i need to know if i should cancel it and get her to the vet. If i do have my toe done then i wont be able to take her, my mum could, but that may scare her even more as she is really used to me more than anyone.

So does anyone have any suggestions on what i should do? She is sitting a little 'hunched' up. I dont know what to do!?

Please help me!
Thanks
Vicki

It sounds like she's in pain. It could be wind, or the start of GI stasis. To be honest, because you've not seen her eat since last nght, I'd probably get to the vets asap.
Is she pooping, drinking, weeing?

I know shes weeing as shes weed in her box and in the tunnel which isnt normal. There were also a few droppings about the hutch aswell. I know that isnt Harvey, he does everything in his tray.

So do you think i should cancel my appointment and get her to the vets?

I have some metacam, should i give her some of this if she is in pain?

Vicki said:
I know shes weeing as shes weed in her box and in the tunnel which isnt normal. There were also a few droppings about the hutch aswell. I know that isnt Harvey, he does everything in his tray.

So do you think i should cancel my appointment and get her to the vets?

I have some metacam, should i give her some of this if she is in pain?

I would get her to the Vets ASAP. Giving oral Metacam may do more harm than good if her guts have stopped working and it would not be absorbed anyway.
Infacol and tummy rubs are OK as a First Aid treatment but I think your Bun needs Veterinary attention today.
Hope she soon feels better. Please keep us posted

Janex

Well ive been to have my toe done this morning, and then hobbled to the vet this afternoon! The vet see her checked her teeth, couldnt really see anything wrong there. Checked her ears - fine. Then felt her tummy, it felt a bit harder than normal. As she was feeling and pressing it made a dew squelchy noises and Lola flinched a little bit.
The vet gave her a painkiller injection, and also a injection to get her tummy going again. I cant remember the names of what they were called now! She also gave me some critical care to start giving to her if she doesnt start eating within the next couple of hours. So we have to wait and see if these injections help her to eat first. She also recommended i give her some pineapple juice.

Glad she has now had some meds to help her. I expect they were Metoclopromide to get her guts moving and Metacam for pain relief.
It is really important that she gets some fluids into her, even just water.
Infacol is OK to give too, it will help break up the gas. She will need quite intensive care now she's home as even on treatment a Bun in stasis needs careful monitoring, syringe feeds etc. If she has shown no sign of improvement 8 hours after her injections I think you need to contact the Vet again as Bun will need another injection of Metoclopromide.
Encouraging her to move about will help too. Movement will encourage her guts to get going. Please keep us posted as to how she is doing

Janex

I have just given her 3ml of pineapple juice, thats as much as she would take. I tried giving her some critical care but it wont mix up enough to be sucked up the syringe? I couldnt get it up the syringe to give to her. I only managed a tiny amount. She still wont take much, i offered her greens, carrots hay grass etc she still wont take nothing. Have you any ideas on what else i could offer her? Im sooooo worried i feel like being sick. :(
Please help!

HI VICKI critical car eis a white powder and mixes with water easily, have he given you that or recovery recovery it green and harder to mixes so best thing to do is use warm water and mix it with more water... have you given her something different? or more than she usual has?

hope shes feeling better soon? did they give you any liquid parafin?

Awww Vicki :( What time did she see the vet? When Heather had similar symptoms a while ago it did take several hours before she started to pick up. Have a look at this website here: http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=29726&highlight=stasis There is some good advice about how you can try massaging her tummy to help relieve any colicky pain. Is she indoors? If not, I would bring them indoors as she will probably be more comfortable in the warmth. Also try cutting the tip off the syringe, it should be easier to suck the critical care up and syringe it out, without the tip (make sure the end isn't sharp though).

Healing vibes coming your way, please do keep us posted Xxxxx

It must be recovery that i was given then! Shes had nothing different from normal, last night she was fine and running around. I havent been given any liquid parafin either. We were at the vet at about 3. She seems to enjoy a cuddle. She isnt her usual self though, normally when i go to pick her up she might 'struggle' a bit but she dont. I cant bring her in as we have dogs, i have no where to keep them. Is there anything else i could try syringing her? Is 3ml of pineapple juice enough or too much?

Vicki said:
It must be recovery that i was given then! Shes had nothing different from normal, last night she was fine and running around. I havent been given any liquid parafin either. We were at the vet at about 3. She seems to enjoy a cuddle. She isnt her usual self though, normally when i go to pick her up she might 'struggle' a bit but she dont. I cant bring her in as we have dogs, i have no where to keep them. Is there anything else i could try syringing her? Is 3ml of pineapple juice enough or too much?

have you got a heat pad, you could try that and some infacol (get it at the chemist/tescos?

Hiya Vicky

Ive got probs with my bun at the moment. He's not eating, sniffs and turns his nose from food which is sooo unusual for him! Been to the vets twice now, lots of injections also been given sachets of food powder which I need to dilute and syringe feed him. :( He's not even pooing either. Please keep us updated, hope all is well xxx

Ive just gone and got some infacol, what dosage shall i give her? Any other ideas on what else i can syringe feed her?

Oh poor you, I've just been through this with Princess (well still ongoing!) She had quite bad bloat Tue night and I was up all through the night syringe feeding her and giving her tummy rubs. She seems to be over the worst of it now, but still not quite 100%.

My vet recommended putting grass, greens, dandelions etc in a blender and then syringe feeding it to her. As it was we got the Recovery down her and I blended up some of her pellets too. We also got a Fibre paste from the vets to help put extra fibre into her. We were back at the vets twice on Wed, once for a check up and again for another painkiller, but fingers crossed she is on the mend!!

Tummy rubs did wonders for her, could hear everything gurgling!!

Hope ur bun soon feels better, it does take a while for them to get over it but very intensive careful nursing did wonders for Princess!

Nicola

Update! I have just given Lola 10ml recovery, 2ml pineapple juice and 2ml plain water. She took it all fine. I gave her some tummy rubs, and then she jumped up at me for a cuddle! She stayed in my arms for ages really snuggling her nose under my chin. I have now put her back and straight away she is easting some hay and dried grass. I have also given her a heatpad (snugglesafe) to lay on. I feel so relieved now that she has took that down and is now eating for herself aswell! :) Fingers crossed it continues!

Ah that's brill, I'd try to tempt her with as much hay as you can, that will def get her guts moving + help push everything along! Dandelions are also good to tempt a bunny to eat :)

Well she has been eating hay and dried grass. She does seem so much better now. Shes moving around and seems so much brighter. :)

That's really good, have got everything crossed she continues like that! It's so worrying when they are ill! It's the first night Princess is back in her shed and I'm sitting here worrying, although i'm sure she is fine!

Aww i know how you feel! I keep popping out there! Im sure princess will be fine aswell. Just cant stop us worrying!
I had an ingrown toenail done today, that didnt bother me one bit, then i get really worked up worrying about Lola and made myself feel so sick and i had a banging head ache!

Back