• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I feel really guilty

bunnygran

Warren Scout
I am feeling really guilty because we have decided to put our two indoor buns into a hutch and run outside. Rosie is about 4 and Jack about 3. We have had them just over 2 years. They are gorgeous, BUT they use their litter tray when they are in their cage, and wee and plop everywhere when they are running round in the house. I have tried everything I can think of to get them to use the 3 litter trays in the room but they won't so we have decided they have got to go outside.

I'm worried that they won't be happy there and feel guilty that I am making them go outside. Has anyone else put indoor buns outside and have they been OK?

I had a similar problem. I had twooo indoors - one who weed and pooped everywhere and one who chewed everything he could get his teeth on :lol:
They're outside now and seem quite happy. I felt bad but I think its for the best. I am just organising getting them a nice shed for when we move that I can get set up with extra levels (they love climbing and jumping!) and an attatched run. At least that way everything can be set up just to suit them.
On other threads a lot of people have said that they feel their bunnies seem to be happier outside so I wouldn't worry too much :D

Thanks spacegirl hopefully they will love being outside and I can have a clean, less smelly house :lol: :lol:

Bobby and his original wife Patch were indoor buns to start with, but it was quite clear that they weren't really happy inside, and preferred their time in the garden. I made them permanent outside bunnies and I think they were so much happier. Bobby's new wife is a belgian hare X and I really don't think she'd have been happy inside, as she's too skittish.
I'm sure they'll be fine.

Just one thing though, if you are going to put them outdoors I would try to do it ASAP before the weather gets colder. Last night was actually very chilly here and I dont think Buns who have spent 2 years indoors would be able to adjust to the temerature change without it causing them physiological stress.
As long as their outdoor accomodation will be wind, rain and predator proof and in the winter additional bedding/snugglesafe etc are provided they will be OK. Buns cope OK with the cold provided they are used to it. Its drastic changes in temperature that are a problem for them.

Janex

Back