• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Snuffly Bun - What Should I do?

AliBenMummy

Mama Doe
Hi there,

I've noticed over the past few days that my bun's runny nose is a lot thicker than usual. She has had Baytril for snuffles in the past and it's something I keep an eye on.

I've ordered some Bisolvon from the vets, but I noticed her sneeze about 4 times in a row last night. When I picked her up she sounded like she had a cold.

I'm wondering if I should take her to the vets for some antibiotics, or should I see what the Bisolvon does over the weekend first. The sounds definately seem to be coming from her nose rather than her chest.

I had plans for this afternoon, and can only get an appointment at the vets this afternoon. Do you think this is something that can wait until Monday, and I'll use the Bisolvon over the weekend to see if that helps her breathe through her nose? Or do I need to take her in to be checked today? Otherwise, I could pick up some Baytril from the vets and start her on it, then take her on Monday?

My vets seem only to use Baytril unless the snuffles doesn't seem to be clearing up, so this is what they would give me in the first instance anyway...

Blimey - just read that and I sound like an awful bunny mum. I'm not trying to put off taking her to the vets, it's just difficult as I had made plans...

Gemma

Maybe ring the vets and see what they say :?:

I kow what you mean about hvaing made plans and then having to go to the vets :roll: :lol:

Hi there

I think your Bun probably does need antibiotics TODAY.
All the Bisolvon will do is thin out the mucus. If she has an active infection then it might track down to her lungs if left untreated. Also, without listening to her chest with a stethescope its impossible to tell if its clear or not.
TBH I think your Bun should see the Vet today

Janex

Thanks...I'll pop into the vets at lunchtime and have a chat to them. If they definately have to see her before giving her antibiotics, I'll take her...

They always prescribe Baytril, so will get some of that and get her started on her usual 7 day course. I'll give her some Bisolvon too to make sure she can breathe easier.

I'll take her to the vets on Monday and get them to do a swab so they can check she's on the right type of meds. It's a while since her last proper outbreak so I think Baytril seems to do the trick for her.

Thanks for your advice.

Gemma

Just another thought for clearing the runny nose - baby nasal clear (I have posted elsewhere on this) - a device which enables you to hygenically (it gets trapped into an antibac chamber) suck the mucus from the nose. Tesco sell them on the baby aisles. Brill - I have used it.

Hi there,

Thanks all for your advice. I took Alice to the vets on Friday afternoon and her chest was all clear. It seems that it's just her nose that is a bit bunged up. After a few days of the Bisolvon her nose and breathing seems much better.

The vet was reluctant to put her on any more antibiotics because she's eating so well and her guts seem ok - touch wood!

I just have to keep an eye on her and keep my fingers crossed!

Gemma

AliBenMummy said:
Hi there,

Thanks all for your advice. I took Alice to the vets on Friday afternoon and her chest was all clear. It seems that it's just her nose that is a bit bunged up. After a few days of the Bisolvon her nose and breathing seems much better.

The vet was reluctant to put her on any more antibiotics because she's eating so well and her guts seem ok - touch wood!

I just have to keep an eye on her and keep my fingers crossed!

Gemma

Thats fantastic news that her lungs are clear :) X

Back