PDA

View Full Version : national diploma in animal management

rabbitpoop
07-09-2006, 07:57 PM
Hi guys, I'm starting this course on monday and I cant wait. I was just wondering whether anyone ones else has done this, or a course similar?

My husband isn't too happy about me cutting my hours at work quite drastically and it does mean we will be poor for a couple of years, but i see it as a good thing in the long run as I can go into the industry with this qualification, hopefully to work with dogs (sorry rabbit lovers! :lol: ) and finally be in a job i love. xx

bluebunny
07-09-2006, 08:01 PM
A few of the girls at the kennels have done this
Ive done a NVQ level 2 small animal care,and a few hydrotherapy courses as i work at a hydro pool for dogs :)

rabbitpoop
07-09-2006, 08:04 PM
Ive done a NVQ level 2 small animal care,and a few hydrotherapy courses as i work at a hydro pool for dogs :)

Was it quite easy for them to get jobs like this straight afterwards? Asking because i have one month after the course ends to start paying off my loan! :shock:

bluebunny
07-09-2006, 08:06 PM

Was it quite easy for them to get jobs like this straight afterwards? Asking because i have one month after the course ends to start paying off my loan! :shock:
They both got jobs here after doing work experiance ,so yeah quite easy,just depends though some kennels are terrible

rabbitpoop
07-09-2006, 08:10 PM
working in kennels or a dog rescue centre would be my dream job! :) I'm hoping that wherever i do my work experience, will be kind enough to take me on afterwards.

bluebunny
07-09-2006, 08:17 PM
I worked in kennels for 6 years,ive been working at the pool for 3 years and love it :)

bilbo
07-09-2006, 08:48 PM
eeek i did this course only lasted 3 montsh though..

there a h*ll of a lot of work i had 7 assignments at once tahts wen i decided to drop to a part time course. The work is loads especially if you work as well!

rabbitpoop
07-09-2006, 08:59 PM
wow! I'm ready for the challenge! :D

nicolar
07-09-2006, 09:18 PM
I've done an HND in Animal Behaviour and am just finishing off my NVQ Level 2 Animal Care. I work in rescue, it's not quite as rosy as it seems from the outside! Although I do love my job but I'm cream crackered a lot of the time!!

Gem
07-09-2006, 10:55 PM
I did the First Diploma and NVQ2, didn't want to do Animal Management as at the college I went to it centred quite a lot on breeding :(

bizzy_vicki
08-09-2006, 09:14 AM
Yeah, its focus a lot on genetics and stuff and you have to do a breeding project. You can choose mice or guinea pigs :(
My friend had to do it, luckily she's savvy and kept her 'experimental' guineas, now all neutered and happy. But she says her class mates didint have a clue, kids breeding mice and then just giving them away to pet shops when they were finished! I dont agree with it at all, you can study genetics and bredding without adding to the numbers IMO *shrug*

gizmo
10-09-2006, 07:36 PM
im doing the it at the moment i think its really good but it can be quite hard sometimes.

catswhiskas
11-09-2006, 09:48 AM
I'd love to do it but would be worried about seeing things that would upset me? What sort of jobs can you get into afterwards?

sezzy5889
11-09-2006, 11:07 AM
i'v'e just started my FD in animal management so we can worry together :lol:

I have done my FC in animal care though, and it was very good, although i understand diplomas don't include half the amount of practical as certificates :?

I am doing my work experience at Feldon veterinary practise, so i can see all that goes on behind closed doors :twisted:

BirdieBun
11-09-2006, 12:54 PM
i couldn't mess with animals whilst doing animal courses, just seeing their little faces would break my heart :(