• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

national diploma in animal management

rabbitpoop

Young Bun
Hi guys, I'm starting this course on monday and I cant wait. I was just wondering whether anyone ones else has done this, or a course similar?

My husband isn't too happy about me cutting my hours at work quite drastically and it does mean we will be poor for a couple of years, but i see it as a good thing in the long run as I can go into the industry with this qualification, hopefully to work with dogs (sorry rabbit lovers! :lol: ) and finally be in a job i love. xx

A few of the girls at the kennels have done this
Ive done a NVQ level 2 small animal care,and a few hydrotherapy courses as i work at a hydro pool for dogs :)

bluebunny said:
Ive done a NVQ level 2 small animal care,and a few hydrotherapy courses as i work at a hydro pool for dogs :)

Was it quite easy for them to get jobs like this straight afterwards? Asking because i have one month after the course ends to start paying off my loan! :shock:

rabbitpoop said:
bluebunny said:

Was it quite easy for them to get jobs like this straight afterwards? Asking because i have one month after the course ends to start paying off my loan! :shock:
They both got jobs here after doing work experiance ,so yeah quite easy,just depends though some kennels are terrible

working in kennels or a dog rescue centre would be my dream job! :) I'm hoping that wherever i do my work experience, will be kind enough to take me on afterwards.

eeek i did this course only lasted 3 montsh though..

there a h*ll of a lot of work i had 7 assignments at once tahts wen i decided to drop to a part time course. The work is loads especially if you work as well!

I've done an HND in Animal Behaviour and am just finishing off my NVQ Level 2 Animal Care. I work in rescue, it's not quite as rosy as it seems from the outside! Although I do love my job but I'm cream crackered a lot of the time!!

I did the First Diploma and NVQ2, didn't want to do Animal Management as at the college I went to it centred quite a lot on breeding :(

Yeah, its focus a lot on genetics and stuff and you have to do a breeding project. You can choose mice or guinea pigs :(
My friend had to do it, luckily she's savvy and kept her 'experimental' guineas, now all neutered and happy. But she says her class mates didint have a clue, kids breeding mice and then just giving them away to pet shops when they were finished! I dont agree with it at all, you can study genetics and bredding without adding to the numbers IMO *shrug*

I'd love to do it but would be worried about seeing things that would upset me? What sort of jobs can you get into afterwards?

i'v'e just started my FD in animal management so we can worry together :lol:

I have done my FC in animal care though, and it was very good, although i understand diplomas don't include half the amount of practical as certificates :?

I am doing my work experience at Feldon veterinary practise, so i can see all that goes on behind closed doors :twisted:

i couldn't mess with animals whilst doing animal courses, just seeing their little faces would break my heart :(

Back