• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Salt and his snuffly nose

HS

Wise Old Thumper
Salt is now on his third course of Baytril for his slightly snuffly nose. The vet is reluctant to try anything else, as the Baytril clears it up, but the runny nose comes back again after he comes off it. His chest is fine. He has had two episodes of a gassy tummy in the past three weeks.
She has said that she can see some tiny spikes on his teeth, but not really enough to woory about at the moment, but she'd like Salt to have a GA, so they can have a good explore and see if there is an underlying cause.
He eats lots and lots of hay, a handful of pellets and some veg each day, and he has no problem eating (far from it!)
I'm not sure what to do. Will teeth prblems be causing him to have a snuffly nose? Will he be fit enough to have a GA (he's almost finished his course of Baytril)?
Any advice? Sorry if I haven't explained it very wel

Yes, teeth problems can cause a flare up of Snuffles.
Anything that makes a Bun a bit stressed (physiologically as opposed to psychologically) can trigger Snuffles symptoms.
My Vet never uses Baytril now for Respiratory Tract Problems. She says it just does not work well and the symptoms soon re-appear once treatment is stopped. She prefers to use Septrin and of all the Buns I have had on it none have had a problem tolerating it and only one has relapsed needing more treatment.

I am not sure I would want any of my snufflers to have a GA unless absolutely essential. I think I'd be inclined to ask the Vet to try a different antibiotic first. It would be different if your Bun was not eating well due to molar spurs but as things are personally I'd want to hold off from a GA.

Janex

Helen sorry to hear about Salt...as Jane has said I'd ask fir a different treatment to Baytril and also avoid a GA if possible...there are vets who will burr molars without a GA so maybe worth finding one near you to avoid possible complications in a snuffly bun.

Thank you both. We will be back at the vets tomorrow, so I'll discuss it then. If they don't give me the answers I want, I'll try phoning another vet!

Hope little Salt gets better v soon Helen.
Sending you both love and good vibes.....
Keep us posted.
Nicola xxxx

Back