• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Is this the end? - Update - RIP

dogmaddebbie

Young Bun
Hi

Taking one of my buns to the vets tonight as she isn't well.

She is about 6 yr old and last visited the vets about a week ago to have her teeth trimmed. Whilst there we noticed she was breathing funny (gasping like a fish would) and the vet told me to keep an eye on her and if it continued that she may have to have a chest x-ray.

Last night when I picked her up I was shocked to feel how much weight she has lost and is practically skin and bones.

She is breathing deeper than my other buns (but not gasping, think that was the stress of the vets) and does not have snuffles or any discharge, when she was spayed earlier in the year they did find tumours which they removed at the same time. I am thinking that maybe she has got tumours on her lungs, is this a common thing? Is it worth putting her through an x-ray I'm not sure she is strong enough to have an anaesthetic or even to be sedated.

I am going with the thought that they will put her to sleep as I'm not sure what is best for her and don't want her to suffer.

She does appear to be eating/drinking still although she is in with my other rabbits so can't really tell what her intake is and she doesn't seem to be moving around as much and didn't struggle at all when I picked her up.

What do you think?

Debbie

Oh God no advice, but wanted to wish you lots of luck, sending vibes. XXX

I hate to say it Debbie but it sounds like what happened to my precious Charlie. Unfortunately he had a massive tumour in his chest which i had no knowledge of, he died in my arms....

I do hope it's not that, but in the end Charlie used to breathe with his mouth open which is never a good sign.

Don't lose hope

Hi Debbie,

I'm really sorry to hear how ill your bunny is.

I wouldn't lose hope if she does have to go through a GA though as my bun (Alice) is 7 and about 18 months ago she had an eye removed. I also wondered if she would get through the anaesthetic because she'd lost an awful lot of weight. In fact, her usual weight is about 2.8kg and just before her op she was 1.8kg. This was due to her being on Baytril for a few weeks beforehand and it plays havoc with her eating habits.

It may be an idea to feed your bun separately so you can see what she is eating, and also to check your litter tray for any misshapen or small poos.

Wishing you the best of luck for your visit to the vets. It could be something treatable, just hold onto that hope.

Gemma

Hi Debbie

I am so sorry your Bun is very poorly :cry:
Sadly uterine tumours do metastisise (spread) to the lungs :cry:
However, it MIGHT NOT BE THAT.

She could have a chronic Pasteurella infection in her lungs. This will make her loose weight, have to make greater respiratory effort and 'mouth breathe' when stressed.
Unfortunately the same symptoms apply for metastatic uterine adenocarcinoma (womb cancer that has spread to the lungs) :cry:

If she were my Bun and she were still eating, not distressed or depressed this is what I'd want to do:
Ask Vet to prescribe an antibiotic like SEPTRIN to treat any possible infection in the lungs
Ask Vet about prescribing a Bronchodilating drug (Aminophyline) to open up the airways
A Chest X-ray would only be something I'd want to consider if Vet could do it WITHOUT GA. Otherwise, I'd just want Bun treated as if the condition is infection as opposed to a malignancy. Bun can be re-assessed by Vet after a few days to see if any improvement in respiratory tract has occured.Of course this approach is only something I'd ask Vet to try if Bun was 'OK in herself'.
If, however, a chest X-ray was done and lung metastises were evident I would have to let Bun go..... :cry:

What a very difficult time for you... :cry:

Janex

Sending you hugs for you and your bun.
I do have to agree with Jane. I had a bun that when she was being spade they found tumour and removed it but unfortunately they do spread.
Good luck for tonight

I have only just thought aswell, her eyes have been runny recently, but hadn't connected the two as she has had blocked tear ducts before. If she has an infection I presume this would be related to her breathing problems. Also could the infection spread to my other buns?

Update:

Well back from the vets, have to go back with her at 8.30 in the morning.

He thinks it is chronic Pasteurella infection, the equivalent of pheumonia in humans?

He gave her a strong antibiotic injection and think he will give her another one in the morning or pts if gone downhill. It is hard as I am going away for the weekend tomorrow and leaving my rabbits with my parents.

All my rabbits share the same shed and run and I am worried that it may spread. I was gonna seperate her but I thought one more night with them probably won't make any difference and I don't want her to stress more than she already is.

Her eyes are really gungy as well now, full of thick creamy stuff that i keep cleaning.

I have just brought her back and put her in with the others and she has just laid straight down, its not looking good :-(

Poor Bun and poor you :cry:
At least she is in a familiar environment, surrounded by her friends.
Sending peaceful vibes to her whatever the next few hours/days may hold....

Janex

Back