• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

WEE THICK LIKE TOOTHPASTE/CLAY. What do I do?

Nicola3

Mama Doe
Hello,

I've read a lot about too much calcium in diet etc. But last night I noticed one of my buns Harvey had had a wee and this time it was really thick like toothpaste/clay. He usually wees and there is a small deposit of calcium within the wee but this time it was really thick.

What do I do? Do I need to take him to the vets or do I just reduce his veggie intake? I know its normal for rabbits to excrete excess calcium in their wee but yesterdays wee was really thick, like the consistency of toothpaste/clay.

Please can anyone advise me?

Lots of love,

Nicola and Harvey xxx

Hi Nicola

I would try to maximise Harvey's fluid intake. I know he is a poor drinker so I think you do need to take him to the Vets as he may need diuresis (sub-cutaneous fluids and manual bladder emptying) Also, the build up of sludge can irritate the bladder causing cystitis.So he would need antibiotics and pain relief.
Could his bladder be the source of his episodes of pain over the months I wonder... :?

It is important to clear the sludge as it can eventually form stones which can also effect the Kidney. Hopefuly catching it early, clearing the sludge and then modifying his diet to reduce his calcium will prevent the condition getting worse
Its just his poor fluid intake thats going to be a problem..... :?

Janex

Hi Jane,

Thanks for replying xxx

He seems to be drinking a tad more lately which is good but not as much as Primrose. I have been giving him quite a bit of veg every day. A pile in the morning and a pile in the evening. I suppose I was trying to make up for his low water intake. But it does seem as though he has been drinking more lately. Also I usually give him spring greens so I think i will stop giving him that for a while.

He doesn't seem to be in pain at the moment as he has been running around the house like a nutter and really enjoying himself.

I do try to keep an eye on his wee as he has taken up the lovely habit of weeing on the waterproof cover of the bed. At least I can monitor it that way even though it's a naughty habit. It's usually cloudy but yesterday there was a big deposit of this toothpaste like substance.

A while back he wasn't drinking much at all so the vet suggested putting the tiniest amount of ribena in his water which I did and gradually reduced the amount until he was having just water and his drinking doesn't seem to be too bad. It's not perfect like Primrose who will often drink a whole bowl of water a day but I can usually see that the water level in his bowl has gone down.

I haven't given him any veggies today as I was worried.

Will the manual bladder emptying be able to be performed during a regular visit to the vet? I hope it won't stress the poor man out.

Love and hugs,

Nicola and Harvey xxx

Yes, the manual bladder emptying can be done without GA/sedation as long as the sludge is not too thick.

With my Chloe, who has chronic bladder sludge, I do 12 hours of sub-cut fluids before I attempt bladder emptying (HERS not mine :lol: )That way the sludge is more dilute and she can pass a lot of it herself.
It is VERY IMPORTANT to get a Vet to show you how to manually express a Bunny's bladder. The bladder is very delicate and can easily be ruptured :shock: :cry:

I always give Chloe some pain relief after I have done her bladder, although TBH she never seems at all bothered by the proceedure.
I have not had to have her on antibiotics for cystitis for several months now :D :D

Janex

Thanks Jane xxx

I know there's been lots on here about veggies and calcium content etc.

Please can you advise me what veggies I should give Harv from now on?

Also should I just give him a pile of veggies once a day rather than twice a day?(a pile in the morning and a pile in the eve)

Thanks Jane.

Lots of love,

Nicola and Harvey xxx

I would keep the two portions of Veg going.
Those with a low calcium content include:
Carrots, Celery, Romaine Lettuce, Cauliflower, Brussel Sprouts.

High Calcium Veg include:
Broccoli, Carrot TOPS, Spring Greens, Kale, Spinach, Dandelions.

Feedstuff containing Alfalfa are best avoided all together
If you live in a hard water area it can be helpful to only give filtered water.
Adding some Cranberry Juice (unsweetened) is another thing you could try, although some Vets feel it is of no benefit

Janex

Hi Jane,

Thanks for everything xxx.

Is there anything I can give him to reduce the chances of him getting it again?

Love and hugs,

Nic n Harvey xxx

Nicola3 said:
Hi Jane,

Thanks for everything xxx.

Is there anything I can give him to reduce the chances of him getting it again?

Love and hugs,

Nic n Harvey xxx

Not really. Buns excrete calcium in their wee in direct proportion to the amount they get in their diet. So dietry modification and ensuring a good fluid intake is the main thing.

Janex

Hi Jane,

I gave him his last jab yesterday. He still has a watery nose. He's a lovely bun but gets very scared if he's not sure of your intentions. He absolutely hated the injections and would tense the whole of his body up which made it very difficult to give him his jab. He tends to stress easily. The short trip to the vets last week really really stressed him, he was laid out in his box and looked exhausted- and he had the added trauma of people trying to get that horrible ring off his leg...poor boy. He has been in a bit of a sulk since. I had started to gain his trust and then I had to administer injections so he isn't very fond of me at the moment.

He's not been eating a huge amount whilst on the meds but is eating. He loves his dandelions and i had transferred him over to A & P pellets but I think I will have to buy him some more Rabbit Royale to try and get him to eat more.

The less poking and prodding at the moment the better I think as stress just seems to exacerbate any problems.

I will give him hugs from you and try and take some pics. Need to buy some more batteries for my camera.

Big hugs,

Nic n Harvey xxx

Incease Fluids ...

Just a suggestion, my vet suggested washing all the veg and serving them wet to increase fluid intake a little.

May help a bit!

Re: Incease Fluids ...

JessieP said:
Just a suggestion, my vet suggested washing all the veg and serving them wet to increase fluid intake a little.

May help a bit!

Yep, good idea :thumb:

Janex

Nicola3 said:
Hi Jane,

I gave him his last jab yesterday. He still has a watery nose. He's a lovely bun but gets very scared if he's not sure of your intentions. He absolutely hated the injections and would tense the whole of his body up which made it very difficult to give him his jab. He tends to stress easily. The short trip to the vets last week really really stressed him, he was laid out in his box and looked exhausted- and he had the added trauma of people trying to get that horrible ring off his leg...poor boy. He has been in a bit of a sulk since. I had started to gain his trust and then I had to administer injections so he isn't very fond of me at the moment.

He's not been eating a huge amount whilst on the meds but is eating. He loves his dandelions and i had transferred him over to A & P pellets but I think I will have to buy him some more Rabbit Royale to try and get him to eat more.

The less poking and prodding at the moment the better I think as stress just seems to exacerbate any problems.

I will give him hugs from you and try and take some pics. Need to buy some more batteries for my camera.

Big hugs,

Nic n Harvey xxx

Awww poor wee Arthur :(
I am so glad he is with you now. I do hope I get to meet him and Tortie Rex eventually. But them being fit enough to travel is the most important thing.

Janex

Hi Jane,

I would really like you to have them as I know they will be very well cared for and I won't have to worry about them.

Tortie girl is fine and has been given a clean bill of health. I have cut back her food to help her lose weight and am feeding her a small amount of A & P pellets, lots of hay and some veggies.
She has lost weight but is still plump. I'm sure she is fine to travel.

I am worried about Arthur travelling such a long distance with him being so frail at the moment as just the short trip to the vets really stressed him out. He is fine when he is in his hutch but as soon as I move him he panics. I will speak to Justine about it tonight.

I wish there was a stress free way of getting him to you.

If I get some batteries I will try and take some pics for you tonight.

Love and hugs,

Nicola and Harvey xxx

Awww Nicola, sorry to hear that Harv is having a hard time of it. I am sure if you follow all the advice Jane gave and get him to the vets you will fix him up in no time.

If you need any help or anything then let me know :)

Hugs

Shiv

P.s. My playhouse is arriving on Saturday :D

Hi Shiv,

Harvey is my wild bunny that I found injured in the road on Easter Sunday over a year and a half ago. He had been knocked and was only 8 wks old when I found him. I nursed him back with the help of Justine at Woodlands veterinary centre. He has dental probs due to where he was knocked but he is the reason i have such a great love for bunnies and inspired me to try and help as many bunnies in need as I can. He is a dear little boy and a very very special bunny. He was only about 8 wks old when I found him and is now quite tame and a real character.

Here's a pic:
harvbed01.jpg

and another:

harvbed05.jpg

and another
harvted03.jpg

and one more
harvted.jpg

I have some videos of him running around the lounge. Here's a couple of links, not sure whether they will work.

http://s25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/Nicola3/?action=view&current=DSCF0398AVI.flv

I'm sposed to be picking up 4 playhouses from focus this w/e too for the rescue buns.

I'll give you a ring Shiv when I can come out and see you. I won't forget about you honest. Thanks for staying in touch.

Hugs,

Nicola and Harvey xxx

I've heard you can try adding soluble Vitamin C tablets to the drinking water at a rate of 200mg/litre. As vitamin c is acidic it makes the urine less alkaline therefore helps to stop stones forming.
Hope he's better soon,
Emily

Hi Emily,

That's really handy to know thank you very much.

Have been looking into buying one of those water filtering jugs. Has anyone else got one? I looked at them yesterday and Brita has so many different varieties. Can somebody recommend a good one?

Hugs,

Nicola and Harvey xxx

Back