• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Freaked out

raven_guest

Mama Doe
I think I may live in the Burmuda triangle or something equally weird, I only ever get odd numbers of babies in litters!
Gypsy had 3 in her first litter and 5 in her latest litter.
Honey had one baby.
Pixie had three.
Belle had 5 then 7
and now Evee has had 6 (but unfortunately one was dead) so that's 5.
I'm really creeped out now!
Finally some good news after the stress of today (I doubted Evee was pregnant but she pulled herself bald (poor thing) and there was moving hay and fluff!
We have 4 bluey/purple ones and 1 pink (the dead one was pink too) so we may have four agoutis or smokes (mum is a smoke) and 1 white or gold (dad is gold)
As much as some of you hate breeding, which I completely understand, I had to share the news!

That is odd ( :lol: no pun intended :oops: )

What do you do with all your baby buns? Do you sell them privately?

Oh and PICCYS PLEASE :lol:

The buns will be going to spinner homes (people who spin angora wool in case you weren't sure lol) and I have a few people interested already who keep their buns in heavenly places and due to the wool being used, they will be kept clipped and matt free thank goodness as that's always a worry. Any that don't find lovely homes will stay here, what a shame lol!
I will take pics as soon as possible, but don;t usually bother untl their eyes are open as I don't like to stress them out. The nest is also a bit bloody still so not exactly photogenic lol!

I assume they'll be agoutis as mum is smoke and dad is gold and that usually results in agoutis;
http://angoras.co.uk/newmadge2005.htm
This is the guy I got Gorgeous (dad) from. This bun is from a gold and smoke. BUT Gorgeous came from a Sooty Fawn and a Gold and I have no idea what mum Evee came from, so it's nice to see what colour they'll end up being. You don't get many agouti angoras, they seem to be seen as undesirable! But I really don't care what colours they are as long as they are happy (though they prob won't be as it's fireworks night (month!!!) soon!) and healthy. Photos will come asap.

Are the angoras clipped or shaved for spinning? How long does it take for the fur to regrow?

Spinners will either clip them with scissors (I hate the idea of shears as my Gorgeous was shaved and covered in cuts when I got him) or plucked (i.e gently pulled out when the animal is moulting) as the wool is less liekly to be damaged.
Gorgeous needs clipping about once every 3 months, but I usually do it more often as he gets half the garden in his 'skirts'
Update; There seem to be two agoutis (blackish/purple with pink tummies!), 3 smokes (purply/black all over) and one white/gold (it's pink at the mo) I miscounted before as I only checked quickly. They were screaming the place down when I checked them! Obviously hungry!

Back