• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Princess has bloat!

nicolar

Mama Doe
Well what a couple of days - I had to rush Princess to the emergency vets last night as when I went to feed her about 8pm she was just sitting hunched up in her shed, not interested in me or her dinner (very unusual so I knew something was very wrong!). When we got there the vet diagnosed bloat, so had Metaclopromide + a painkiller. He offererd to keep her in + massage and syringe feed but to be honest I was happier taking her home with me!

So got up every half hour to do tummy rubs + syringe feeding, boy am I cream crackered today! She def perked up about midnight and has been hopping around my room. We had some poops about 11.30pm last night, but she wasn't eating anything so food had to be syringed down (not a happy bunny once she started to feel better!).

Went back to the vets this morning and she couldn't feel any signs of the acute bloat she had last night, temp normal + was very glad she was pooping. She didn't give her anything else as painkiller lasts until 9pm tonight but she is def much better than last night. I just have to carry on syringe feeding and taking care of her!

She has just started to eat a few pellets in last half hour or so + had a nibble on a dandelion leaf. Anybody got any suggestions as to what to try to get her eating more? She really hates being syringe fed + it stresses her out. Also any tips on best way to syringe feed? At mo I'm wrapping her in a towel and doing it as simply + quickly as poss but gets worse every time!!

Ta for anymore advice!

Nicola

Ah thank you very much guys :) Have just popped her out in a run on the patio so she can get a bit of fresh air - is a bit stuffy in my bedroom at the mo! I'm keeping everything crossed that she starts munching soon as hate having to stress her out + syringe feed her!

Hiya,

Glad Princess is feeling a little better.

When I need to syringe feed I kneel on the floor with bunny between my knees, facing away from me. This way they can't escape by reversing, and you can use one hand to stop them running forward, and the other hand to hold the syringe. I just lean over the top of them (you can kind of hold them more still this way), squirt into the side of their mouth and let them chew it up gradually (don't rush or they panic). I don't like restraining with a towel cos they seem to get stressed by it, but this works for me, as they think they're just having a floor cuddle, though it makes a bit of a mess!

Tempting food for my pair is grated apple and mushed up banana (I think they like the sugar).

Hope that helps, and keep up the good work!
You'll sleep well tonight!

Wendy
xx

If she has started to eat a tiny amount on her own I would hold off the syinge feeds for a while. The stress it causes her will be counterproductive and slow her guts down.

Gratted Carrot often tempts anorexic Buns. Also finely sliced very dark Spring Greens, Some herbs like Basil or Parsley. Some Blackberry leaves and Dandelion leaves too.

Poor Bun, hope she is 100% better very soon

Janex

Thanks Wendy and Jane.

Will stop syringe feeding her for now then, although she hasn't eaten much in last hour or so. How long do you think it is safe to leave her for without syringe feeding her? (Was thinking along the same lines as you Jane but was worried that if she stopped eating she would get worse!) Just not too sure what to do for the best!

She just hates being syringe fed so much, it must be so stressful, after about 4 or 5 hours last night I reduced it to once an hour because she was starting to get stressed. I do hold her between my legs but she is so strong she wriggles so much! Am hoping won't have to syringe feed her for much longer though, only need to giver Liquid Paraffin and some Pro-Fibre stuffy.

I hope I can sleep tonight though I'll prob be checking on her constantly! Am very worried about her, I'll feel much better once she starts munching a bit more on her own. Am popping to shops in a bit to get some yummy goodies for her.

Am meant to be going to work tomorrow but I don't know what to do. Whether I ring up my manager + ask if can have day off (in case she needs syringe feeding, although am hoping if I hold off for a bit as Jane has said she will get munching of her own accord). Or asking for a half day. Or coming home at lunchtime if I go in all day. Not quite sure what to do for the best, as she obviously needs some peace + quiet too to get better. My Mum is home til half 10 so can keep an eye on her until then, she or I can come home at lunch and then I can get home for just before half 4 as I have a home visit to do in the area. What do you think?

Nicola

Nicola

I think if she eats and poo's a bit overnight she will be OK with regular checks from your Mum in the Morning, you at lunchtime and then again when you get home at 4'ish. I am sure she will eat more if she is not stressed out. But if she does not eat/poo any more by later this evening I'd contact the Vet re more Metoclopromide/Metacam. Shame your Vet did not give you an emergency dose to have at home as I am sure you are perfectly capable of giving injections!! Kind of comes with the territory in your job!! :lol:

Janex

Yes it is a shame, but in my panicky state I forgot to ask! I do give countless vaccs and injections at work so I'm def capable - nevermind!

I do agree about the stress etc, I left her for a few hours without stressing her with syringing etc earlier + just as I went in to tell her about the impending syringe feeding she started munching a few pellets!

Just brought her in from outside and she did some nice poops for me :) Just praying she munches more soon! Have a freshly prepared platter of carrot tops, grated apple + carrot and some parsley - yummy!

I think I will ring my manager just to warn her I may have to take her back to vet in morning if she goes downhill - that way at least she knows!!

My vets close in 40 mins, at the mo she seems fine, will watch her over the next 10 mins or so as that gives me time to get there if I need any more drugs!

Thanks for your help Jane, dunno what I would do without you!!

Nicola

Sounds like the Princess is well on the mend :thumb:

Its so hard to balance the 'getting food in' with the 'minimising stress' isnt it... :? :roll:
If only we could make our poorly Buns understand that everything we do is to try to help them.

I wonder if Princess would care to share her tea :? It sounds very tastey :lol:

Janex

Yes I do hope she is on the mend! Just been to vets again for another pain killer + Vit B injection - wanted to be on safe side til morning as I just know that otherwise disaster will strike in the night!!

Yes the stress bit is so difficult to control - what is longest amount of time it is safe to leave bun without syringe feeding? I wanna give her a good chance of de-stressing + starting to eat on her own. I keep telling her it is for her own good! Will give her more liquid paraffin at 9pm + the fibre stuff and then leave her again. So long as I see poops coming out I will be happy!!

I think she would share her tea tonight - usually she wouldn't though!!! You will have to be quick!!!

Nicola

Good luck with her it is such a worry when they go ill isn't it and so often at night when the vets closed!!! When my lop had it coriander tempted him to start eating. Hope she is better by the morning. Pam

Ah thanks Pam :) She had a Vit B injection to stimulate her appetite + it has really helped! Loves the grated carrot, apple + carrot tops plus a nibble of her pelleted food. Fingers crossed no more need for syringe feeding!

It is a worry and as you say when the vets are closed! Luckily she has insurance so wasn't worried about the cost! I'm up to £134 at the mo!

Nicola

Thanks Jane, she is def getting there. Am home from work for lunch at mo + she has eaten the grated apple + cucumber my Mum gave her this morning plus she ate some pellets overnight. And we had poops overnight and this morning :) Have just put her out in her shed for the afternoon as it gets a bit hot in my room in the afternoon sun and being in her own home will prob make her feel that bit better too.

I'm still bit worried in case we go backwards but at the mo she is getting better all the time! Is very lively + jumping all over my room!

Do you think a run in the garden would do her good tonight? Or will it tire her out too much?

Nicola

I'm sure she'd enjoy a hop about the garden. Exercise will also help keep her guts going and will make her feel less stressed.
Really pleased to hear she is on the mend. It may take a couple more days for her tum to fully recover but it sounds like the worst is over.

:D :D

Janex

I thought a hop around the garden would be good, but nice to hear it from you too Jane! Don't want to do anything that is going to make her worse!

I def think the worst is over too :D (Keeps fingers crossed!!). She did some more poops for me this afternoon while I was at work + tucked into some cucumber when I went up there just now. She just has no interest in her pellets at the mo, but I guess as her tum settles in the next few days her appetite will return at its usual pace!!!

Forgot to reply to your bit about the Vit B injections - it was brilliant, literally within a couple of hours she was munching again (not much, but at least it was enough that I didn't have to syringe feed her!).

Do you think I should leave her in her shed overnight now she has been in there for the afternoon? I don't want her to go downhill overnight without me there to keep an eye on her, but it is obv less stressful for her being in her normal home. Goodness I am a paranoid mummy!

Nicola

Your not paranoid just VERY caring!!
I think I would have her in with you overnight until she is 100% better. I am not sure if it is going to be a bit chilly tonight and she may find it difficult to keep herself warm having been poorly.
Hopefully she will start eating her normal amount within the next day or so.

Janex

Thanks Jane, I was thinking that myself, just wasn't sure if it would stress her being in + out, as I put her in the shed this afternoon for some fresh air. She has just been running round garden for half an hour + she loved it! I think she is now tucking into some celery! I think that once I know she is eating well again I will prob leave her in the shed overnight, at the mo it's a bit hit + miss with the old munching!!! So I would feel better keeping an eye on her, just want to do what is best for her :)

Back