• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Getting scared!

minilops

Alpha Buck
Hi all! 've booked Poppy in for her spay next Wednesday and I'm already worrying about it. I know it's for the best, as she's been nipping us (although she's a good, lovely bunny!). If anyone has any advice, that would be great. The vet said she'll be given oxygen and placed on a heat pad, etc. She will also be fed Recovery and given metaclopromide as a precaution, along with pain relief. Even so, I'm still terrified at the thought that she won't come round after the GA, or there'll be complications with the op. I was exactly the same when Teddy (my boy) was neuteured, but he was fine. Just worried that it's a bigger op for a girly bun. Any words of wisdom will be greatly appreciated.

Awwww we all worry when our Buns have to have a GA.
But it sounds like you have a good Vet who is ensuring Poppy's tum works after the op' and that she is not in pain.
When you get her home she will need to be indoors for a few nights and bedded on towels or Vetbed.
She should have poo'd, wee'd and started to eat 12 hours after the GA. So ask your Vet what time the op' was done.
She will be quite groggy when you get her home and may not eat straight away. Just leave a small portion of her fave veggies within easy reach along with some hay. Gratted Carrot and some Dandelion leaves often tempt Bunnies to eat after an op'. She may prefer to have her water from a bowl rather than a bottle.
Having her spayed will protect her from Uterine Cancer and will mean she might be able to have a bunny friend.. :wink:

Janex

Hiya. Pippa was spayed about a month ago, and the advice I was given is as follows:

Feed her as normal beforehand. Keep her inside for the first night as they can't regulate their temp as well. Bed her on vetbed, towels etc not hay as it'll stick to the wound. Check she wees and drinks and get her to eat asap to keep her gut moving.

I tempted her to drink and eat with grated carrot and grated cucumber, and then mixed pellets in with it. She didn't start eating and pooping properly for a couple of days but did drink and wee. She was very quiet for about 3 days then started to perk up but I'd say it was about 5 days before she started taking an interest in life again.

Good luck with her, she'll be fine. I'm really glad I got Pippa spayed, her behaviour and mood have improved loads and I think in the long term when she has a boyfriend she'll benefit from it. As well as this, at least you know you're protecting her from uterine cancer.

Thanks for your kind words, Jane and Kathryn. I know I'm doing the right thing by her and I'll make sure I follow your advice. :p

awe i know how you feel.lola needs speying as all my other buns are neutered due to the health benefits mainly,but i am saving up-but to be honest it's more like i am plucking up the courage,because it is so worrying.however i will get her done in the next couple of months.good luck with your little one.

I have always been told not to put them on a heat pad after a spay, as if they're too hot they may not move, is this right :?

SOAD said:
I have always been told not to put them on a heat pad after a spay, as if they're too hot they may not move, is this right :?

They need to be on a warm but not hot heatpad as the GA makes Buns blood pressure drop through their boots and they can become hypothermic and shocked. The heatpad can be wrapped in a towel.

:D :D

Janex

Thanks Jane! I don't want to tell the Vet what to do, but my bun is my priority so I'll query about the heatpad (ie, wrapping in a towel). Thanks for passing on your knowledge. :D

I hope all goes well next week for you, I will be thinking of you and Poppy, she will be fine, just give her lots of TLC, and make sure the wound stays nice a clean and dry. Bella was very quiet for a few days afterwards, and still is a bit nervy :( but she is slowly coming round :)

Thanks Ali! I'm glad Bella is getting better. I'll be like you, Poppy is so lovely and friendly, but has just started nipping our chests and ankles, so I think it's time for her spay! Also, the cancer statistics worry me a lot, I used to have a Californian doe and she got hind leg paralysis and had to be PTS. From what I've read since (this was quite a few years ago) and from her other symptoms, I think she may have had uterine cancer, as she was about five years old. This is why I know I must get Poppy spayed, but it doesn't stop you worrying, does it? I'm so glad I found this Forum, as you can come on here and get excellent, friendly advice, especially from people like Jane who are so brilliant with all rabbity things! :)

Back