• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Giving vaccinations to chronic snufflers

AlisonA

Warren Veteran
...discuss :lol:

Santas VHD vaccine is due in a couple of months, and as I'm sure you know, she's a chronic snuffler.

Obviously I'm worried that if she doesn't have the vaccine, she could get VHD (and will the vaccine work anyway if she's a bit snuffly, which she is most of the time) but equally I'm worried that the vaccine will reduce her immune system and cause another bad flare up. Myxi is due shortly after that too.

Answers on a postcard :?

*POSTCARD*..... :lol:

Well its a bit of a catch 22 really isn't it :? For the Vaccine to be effective a good immune response is needed. That may not happen if Santa's immune system is already working overtime with keeping the Snuffles at bay. Then again not vaccinating is a risk too :?

I wonder if it would be worth a 7 day prophylactic course of abx treatment prior to vaccination (ie abx even if not obviously snotty) :? Dont know if that would give her immune system a helping hand :?

I know when I did all my VHD's Christabel advised against doing Unky A and Major Tom because their immune systems are ...well....knackered :(
Perhaps Melinda could phone the Cylap Vet for advice?

Janex

i wouldnt and if i recall correctly, your vet shouldnt either as on the insert it states that an animal must be in good health to be vaxxed.
i am also under the belief that immunity doesnt just dissapear 365 days after the last dose!
hope that all makes sense :D

Back