• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Gorgeous is in hosptial (updated Sat night)

raven_guest

Mama Doe
My poor angora Gorgeous isn't well! He's been a bit off for a couple of days, but I assumed it's because he hated me as I had to wash his bits and bottom the other day. I noticed blood on his foot, but couldn't find a cut, then I noticed blood from his back end.
We've been to the vets, I've got baytril, metacam and Critical care (which he hates!) and I've just forced most of it down his poor mouth as he was being a monster.
Anything else I can do?
Not sure about poops as he hasn't done any today that I've noticed, not drinking or eating but the cc should fix some of that. The vet checked his stomach and teeth etc and said we'll keep an eye on it. He said to kep an eye out for haemoraged poops and to bring him back (with the poops) if there are any!
I'm exhausted now, running him to the vet, the bf's ill, the baby guineas needed feeding......phew!

He's actually a bit better at the moment, he's eaten some dandelion but still no poo and still no pee. The vet said he doubted it would be something like VHD as he would already be dead as he's been a bit off for a couple of days.
And to add to the fun, he's just become a father!

raven_guest said:
He's actually a bit better at the moment, he's eaten some dandelion but still no poo and still no pee. The vet said he doubted it would be something like VHD as he would already be dead as he's been a bit off for a couple of days.
And to add to the fun, he's just become a father!

Think I'd get him back to the Vet tonight as he may need more gut motility meds etc. Maybe some Pineapple Juice(Unsweetened) would be a good idea. As he's a fluff bun he might also have ingested a lot of hair.

There is actually a more chronic form of VHD which manifests itself more slowly than the acute form. The outcome is the same though... :cry:

Janex

I thought of wool block so I'll try some pineapple juice (I always keep some at hand) and hopefully....
The problem is the vet's have literally just closed and they charge £80 just for an out of hours check up! I'm going to call around all the other vets first as I really can't afford that if I can find it cheaper.

It's so embarrassing at the vets though, they call out Gorgeous Smith! EW! Lol. He seems quite happy in himself right now and is definately fiesty!

Lol! I don't think the bf would be too impressed!
He's not much better today, he's nibbled a few things, but the vet said to bring him in tommorow and they'll put him on a drip and consider blood work (aparently very expensive!)

Are you still getting fluids in him?, this will perk him up so dont stop with the recovery . Its amazing the fluid works wonders if there dehydrated they wont eat. val,

He's getting water syringed as he just won't drink. Someone on here had the great idea of grating carrot and he was quite interested in that. He wasn't in grated cucumber though.
The only thing he is actually eating is dandelion which I obv don't want to give him too much of.
I'm surprised at how alert he is as he really hasn't had much food (apart from the cc)

Gorgeous is in hospital.

Gorgeous has been at the vets for the past two days, mainly because I think their Christmas party was coming up and they needed some extra cash.
I personally think he was getting better, he was eating vet and went for a pee (on Nick's trousers and Nick swas actually happy about it as we've both been worried!) He was very feisty an lively, but still hadn't been to the toilet. I had ym first day at work on Friday so had to leave Nick to deal with it and the vet talked him into cming in for blood work (£60) they had to use anaesthetic to get the blood (£50 plus for all the tests) and he was taken in to the hospital (£12 a day, so that's my wages gone before I'm even paid!!!!!!!!!!!!!) Not impressed.
He still hasn't been to the toilet apparently as we've been ringing the vet. I'm really cross as I'm sure they could give him something to make him go, but I'm working 9-6 so can't even speak to the vet anyway as he doesn't work nights and it's nurses that are looking after him. He;s probably really really stressed out and has a drip so if probably far more miserable which is probably making the whoile thing worse!
The blood work won't come back for a week so the whole thing is pointless as whatever it is will have cleared up by then!

This is just my thoughts if hes not pooing i would have let him eat as many dandilions as he wanted you can deal with the runs after youve got him eating and pooing. Some vets leave the obvious things and go for the slightly over the top things first :( . val

For about two days all he was eating was dandelion until he got bored of it. I would honestly has fed him tonne sof them, but the vet said he was suffering from dehydration and he wasn't drinking so I was worried about the runs for that reason.

Just bumping this up

Oscar would eat only dandelion leaves for two days, he ate loads of them, we were feeding them soaking wet so at least he could get his water that way.
It seemed to work :)

Back