• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Tuesday has the snuffles U/D...Septrin failed

woodstock

Mama Doe
Well, in his first week with us, he started sneezing, and was given antibiotics by the vet - she thought it was probably stress induced from the move and the bonding.
All was well for a week, and he started sneezing again yesterday and has been back to the vets today, and now has a course of baytril.

Can anyone tell me if the following senario is likely:
Egg's sister, Donut had pasturella when she was very young, and she was treated for it, and it cleared up. Egg always lived with her, but never showed the symptoms.
So i'm wondering if it's likely that Egg is a carrier but doesn't show the symptoms, and since Tuesday has been exposed to her he's picked up some of the germs and is showing symptoms...

Egg is going on a course of baytril too for a week.

Yes, the scenario is very likely. Pasteurella symptoms often resolve with treatment but the bacteria is seldom totally eliminated. Hence flare ups during times of stress.
My Vet favours SEPTRIN to Baytril for Respiratory Tract infections.

Janex

Jack's-Jane said:
Yes, the scenario is very likely. Pasteurella symptoms often resolve with treatment but the bacteria is seldom totally eliminated. Hence flare ups during times of stress.
My Vet favours SEPTRIN to Baytril for Respiratory Tract infections.

Janex

Oh - will try that if baytril doesn't work.
Poor Tuesday :(
Maybe I shouldn't have bonded egg to another rabbit! she needs putting in quarentine! :? :lol:

Update - Tuesday finished his course of Baytrill, and has been sneezing over the weekend :(
Typically he does about 6 sneezes in a row and blasts a snot out of his nose on the last one :eek:

We've just been back to the vets, and he has put Septrin on order, so we will be trying that out from Wednesday. The vet just has to work out the doseage.

Tuesday is perfectly happy apart from the sneezes - he's been galloping about like an idiot in the garden this weekend.... and tearing around the lounge/dining room and trying to eat my lodgers shoes and bag! I hope he's gonna be alright... :?

Jack's-Jane said:
Septrin dose is 40mg/kg :D
Its Banana flavoured and most Buns like it.

Hope it does the trick.

Janex

Right - finally got it! Didn't realise it was 2 foot medicine! :)
and it definitely pongs of banana.

My vet reckons 0.5 ml per day for 1 week,
I'm just trying to work out the doseage you've written Jane - Tuesday is near enough 3 kg, but I'm not sure what the ml to mg conversion is.

The bottle says that each 5ml contains 40mg of trimethoprim, and 200mg of sulfamethoxazole.
Your conversion comes out as 120mg of something! but what!

Confused of Warwickshire ;)

I make it...

Total amount = 240mg per 5ml (200 of one plus 40 of the other)

= 48mg in 1ml (240/5)

If the dose is 40mg/kg and your bun weighs 3kg, then she needs 40*3 = 120mg.

1ml = 48mg so to get 120mg = 2.5ml (2.5*48=120)

It's possible your vet has worked it out on 240mg per ML and not per 5ml...wouldn't be the first time that has happened :wink:

I've got vague recollections that the dose is a lot higher (100mg/kg rings a bell) for once a day, but it's 30-40mg for twice daily doses.

I'm not a vet though so obviously can't be sure!

Confused of Essex :wink:

blimey - i've only got a small syringe, so 2.5ml would be 2 and a half syringes full...

Oh well, i'll stick to 0.5ml unless Jane can unconfuddle me!

Always go with the vets advice :wink: - might be worth querying the dose with them though, espeically if it doesn't seem to be doing a lot :?

Well, he's been on septrin for 10 days (finished on monday), but he still sneezes. Generally he sneezes 3 in a row, then won't sneeze again for 4/5 hours.

What should i do?

Is there any discharge, or just sneezing? It could be an allergy if it's just a bit of sneezing with no discharge? Is he making noises, especially when he is eating? My understanding is that septrin isn't as effective if there is a build up of pus so if he has quite a lot of snot stuck up in his nasal passages, it doesn't seem to work as well.

If it's definitely a snuffly type problem, my vet favours terramycin as the next antibiotic to try, it's one injection every 3 days and has worked brilliantly for Santa recently.

Good luck, hope Tuesday is ok!

Oh! For months and months I had this with Frodo, my little house bunny, you know the one who's hutch is built into the coffee table in the lounge, well he had this problem and we wnet through all the medicines etc and we found out he was allegic to his hay!!! :lol: honest!

So that's when we started buying the Timothy Hay from West Wales Willows, bit expensive but it certainly stopped his sneezing and we haven't had a problem since, why don't you give it a try?

I found the P@H brand no good, but that stuff from Wales is fantastic and they have a web site and you can order on line

Best of luck!

AlisonA said:
Is there any discharge, or just sneezing? It could be an allergy if it's just a bit of sneezing with no discharge?

Here is a piccy of his schnoz:
260669746_b6c46a2733_b.jpg

Basically a bit wet on the 'crease' of the nose, but fine elsewhere. He was snotting a couple of weeks ago, but I haven't seen him do it since... :?

AlisonA said:
Is he making noises, especially when he is eating?

YES! he squeeks/honks!

AlisonA said:
If it's definitely a snuffly type problem, my vet favours terramycin as the next antibiotic to try, it's one injection every 3 days and has worked brilliantly for Santa recently.

Good luck, hope Tuesday is ok!

Any clue if it's allergy or snuffle from the above?

snowy said:
Oh! For months and months I had this with Frodo, my little house bunny, you know the one who's hutch is built into the coffee table in the lounge, well he had this problem and we wnet through all the medicines etc and we found out he was allegic to his hay!!! :lol: honest!

So that's when we started buying the Timothy Hay from West Wales Willows, bit expensive but it certainly stopped his sneezing and we haven't had a problem since, why don't you give it a try?

I found the P@H brand no good, but that stuff from Wales is fantastic and they have a web site and you can order on line

Best of luck!

I was wondering about that - he defintely sneezes if he gets his head in the way as i pour readigrass into the bowl, but he also does it when he's been hiding out under the sofa for hours - which is a good 5 meters from the cage/hay... :?

If he has only been having 0.5ml of septrin daily its not suprising it hasnt worked. The correct dose of Trimethroprim is 35 - 40mg/kg daily. There is 40mg of Trimethroprim per 5ml of Septrin meaning dose would be 5ml per kg daily. As an example I recently gave a course to one of my guinea pigs and she was on 3ml daily (worked out on the lower end of the scale because she is only a small guinea) ;)

woodstock said:
snowy said:

Best of luck!

Anna, I'll bet he is allegic to dust, you know the dust in the hay and the dust under you settee (Not suggesting that you don't do housework!! :lol: ), but I'll bet that's what it is, I went through months and months of this with Frodo,

Hope you sort it out

I was wondering about that - he defintely sneezes if he gets his head in the way as i pour readigrass into the bowl, but he also does it when he's been hiding out under the sofa for hours - which is a good 5 meters from the cage/hay... :?

Back