• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What do you look for in a home check?

Hey, I was just wondering what you look for, i mean obviously adequate accomodation, but more detail. and what questions do you ask? ive never had a home check before and was rather curious.

I guess there's certain basic things like size of accommodation and exercise area - fox-proofness of the accommodation/exercise area, cleanliness etc, condition of any existing occupants, who is the main carer (e.g. is this a child's pet and is going to get discarded or locked away once the child gets bored), knowledge (or willingness to listen and learn), that sort of thing.

To a certain extent as well you can play it by ear, like the one I went to on Saturday had 12 rabbits and looking around I could see plenty of straw in their hutches but not much hay, so I asked where they keep their hay. They pointed to a tiny bag on top of the hutches - for that many rabbits I would have expected to see a bale. I guess at that point, if you were to explain to them the importance of hay, you can gauge from their reaction whether they are prepared to listen and learn or not.

well its a bit deceptive here, theres no hay at our house, yet we have 9 guineas and a rabbit, but the bales are up the field with the horses!!! as are the bales of shavings.

whiskyscruffles said:
well its a bit deceptive here, theres no hay at our house, yet we have 9 guineas and a rabbit, but the bales are up the field with the horses!!! as are the bales of shavings.

They would see the hay in the hutches though? :wink: X

The home check I had only lasted about 10 mins, they admired all the pics of Misty & Apache (my horses), and said if I could look after my horses so well, then they where sure I'd be fine with a rabbit.

They then said Hi to Alfred, and made a note of the hutch / run measurements, and that was that.

I was expecting the 3rd degree!

Jx

beckiboo186 said:
whiskyscruffles said:

They would see the hay in the hutches though? :wink: X

Also, the homechecker should ask the question, so if you're being homechecked you should get the opportunity to explain where you keep the hay and how much you give to the rabbits each day etc.

i once wrote a checklist to take with me to home checks just to make sure i didnt miss anything - ill see if i can dig it out

Back