• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rescues - does homechecking get easier?

AlisonA

Warren Veteran
I think we've all established that giving up the buns is very difficult, although the transition is eased if you're very happy following the homecheck...

But how about turning people down after a homecheck...does that get any easier? Or do you just feel really happy when they're rude to you because then you know you've made the right decision :D

I just spoke to the person locally to me who wanted to adopt Chloe and I very politely told her why, and she just said "whatever" and slammed the phone down. I'd originally told her I'd think about it, and being a complete coward, had been putting off phoning her for ages. Does it get easier over time to tell people straight away, or is it always going to be awful (but great that you were right in insisting on a homecheck!)

hi A i dont think it gets easier, its embarasing at the best of times and in my experience (i turn more down than i accept as you know :wink: ) i like it when someone else does the home visit then i call with my feelings after and explain exactly why i wont currently rehome with them :cry: then its not a NO just a not at the momment because....., most understand my concerns, some even come back with the improvements :D and the ones that are rude make me feel damb good about not rehoming with them anyway, i want nice caring people taking my buns not ignorant ***** :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I found it difficult at first but I'm now used to it..as Eve has said sometimes you can say "I can't home to you at the moment because..." and a few do come back having improved things which is great :D ...
Does show the importance of homechecking though...I know some rescues don't check and I think that's a real fault as ..having seen some dreadful places that I've turned down...there must be similar people turning up at rescues that don't bother with checks :(

Sometimes I'm so astounded by the conditions people think are fine that I just say it as it is..such as a recent one..." my God..this is awful..not only can I not let you adopt one of my rabbits but I'd like to take yours off you!".......strangely enough I didn't get hit! :shock: :lol:

honeybunny said:
I know some rescues don't check and I think that's a real fault as ..having seen some dreadful places that I've turned down...there must be similar people turning up at rescues that don't bother with checks :(

Yep I agree - this place also had a giant in a 4ft hutch over a 4ft run, the poor thing could barely move - and yet they got her from a rescue!

" my God..this is awful..not only can I not let you adopt one of my rabbits but I'd like to take yours off you!".
:lol: :lol: :lol: love it, Jill. It must make a lot of people think, though - it must be horrible effectively being told that you're not good enough.

Aliandbuns said:
bunnylove said:
i like it when someone else does the home visit

You could just say "I really like you but my homechecker thinks you're awful". :wink: :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

" my God..this is awful..not only can I not let you adopt one of my rabbits but I'd like to take yours off you!".

i have had this plenty of times althought have not said it out loud :oops: i went to one where the they picked up their FAT rex and when he gasped for breathe :shock: they said hes always done that :cry: :cry: :cry:

NO IT DOESNT GET EASIER :roll:
IVE GOT SOMEONE WANTING A BUN OFF ME ....SHES NOT GETTING ONE ...JUST NOT FIGURED OUT HOW TO TELL HER YET :? :? :?

Also remember - if you don't tell them what they're doing wrong they'll never know/learn/change.

I was turned down by the local rescue to take on a rat to live with my rat because I didn't have the particular cage they specified - if they had done a home check they would have seen what good accommodation and care I give to my rat, and found out about how many years I've had rats and how much I actually know about them!!! :x

Luckily all the home checks I've done are good, but I don't do many rabbits at all. Mainly cats and dogs, I guesss they're easier to home because they don't have to have special houseing.

Back