• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Has Anyone Got Microchipped Bunnies?

Benji&Evie

Warren Scout
I was just wondering whether people were starting to do this with bunnies now?

I recently went on a microchipping course but as ive worked as a vet nurse and seen arond 300 dogs chipped I took one of our dogs and both my rabbits to chip as they are a little more delicate.

The course now allows me to chip dogs, cats, ferrets, rabbits and guinea pigs but apparently the tutor teaching us hadnt had anyone take bunnies on the course so far.

Is it something people just dont realise can be done or feel that it just isnt necessary?

ARC get any stray buns scanned just in case they have been chipped, so far none have been

I have two microchipped rabbits in the rescue. They came from Barnes Hill RSPCA to make more room for them to take in more they needed to. It seems they do it routinely there.

My bunny is microchipped. I adopted her from Celia Hammond Animal Trust in Lewisham. They chipped her when she was spayed. Even tho she is a house bun so not likely to go far.. :lol:

Still, I'd probably get any future buns chipped too - just puts my mind at rest. :D

I've wondered before whether buns could be chipped.
I'd like to know what kind of info the chips contain though?
Is it just for identification or can you put health things on them (a bit like a medical bracelet for humans)?

*Starts thinking up satellite tracking chips for buns like they've just started putting on wheelie bins...*

My bunnies aren't chipped (although I've been thinking about it), however when I was last in the vets someone brought in 3 bunnies, all to be chipped - so I guess it is done just not very commonly?

Hmm so sounds like it is something thats being started routinely with rescues.
I think thats a good thing. My bunnies are indoor too lol but you never know when you might wish they were chipped and its a reaonable price to pay for peace of mind... just need to drum it into vets etc to scan any bunnies when they are found :roll:

Happy Bee the microchip itself just holds a number. However this number is unique to your bunny and when checked with PetLog it will bring up your name, address, up to 3 contact numbers, email address, bunnys name, age, breed, description and any medical notes or information you think that someone may need to know straight away!

I have had both my buns chipped. I thought it was a common thing for buns?

After Jessica escaped into next doors garden, I thought it was a good idea incase she does it again, then if anyone found her took her to the vets they'd hopefully scan her and see the info. I also had Jasper done too, just for peace of mind.

Funnily enough both my cats aren't but i trust them, and they both have id tags on their collars which they never lose.

it would be interesting to know how many vets and rescues actually scan a rabbit to check for microchips

Benji&Evie said:
Happy Bee the microchip itself just holds a number. However this number is unique to your bunny and when checked with PetLog it will bring up your name, address, up to 3 contact numbers, email address, bunnys name, age, breed, description and any medical notes or information you think that someone may need to know straight away!

I thought that might be it but I still like the idea of satellite tracking chips. :wink:
Thank You!

Alfred was chipped by the RSPCA when I choose him.

I was suprised, as when they agreed I could have him they took him off and did him, whereas when I had my horses done, Apache (the vet hater!) had to be sedated, and my normally angelic Misty played up.

Jx

When I last took Barney to the vets ( before he went to the bridge)I was asked if I would like him chipped, but I didnt as the garden is totally bunny proof, so they cant get out and get lost :? so I thought there was no point!!!

I thought that might be it but I still like the idea of satellite tracking chips. :wink:
As soon as they make those the dogs are getting them! :lol:

Good to hear so many rescues are chipping as standard now, just need to get vets etc used to checking for them now :roll:

Our vets is advertising "microchipping month" in June atm, but they always direct it at dogs and cats. my two aren't chipped as they're indoor buns, I have considered it, but also wondered how many people if they found a bunny (let alone managed to catch it!?) would think of checking if it was chipped? if it was local, I'd be fine as my two are v well known by my vets!!

Back