• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

MICE!

Ray

Young Bun
Help!! I've just spotted a mouse running around in my rabbits run - I don't know what to do? He has a large run attched to his hutch and it is placed on the grass at the end of the garden. There is a ladder going up into his hutch from the ground so they could (I'm assuming there would be more than one) get up into his hutch. I would appreciate any advice on what to do about this? Please!! x x

Thanks Ray x x

I wouldn't panic, they're unlikely to do your bunnies any harm :) Just make sure that your supplies are sealed up so they can't get into them.

I have a family that live near by bunnies run, I very rarely actually see one though. The bunnies just ignore it :)

vole2.jpg

I don't really know how to get rid of mice outside as there's a ready food source for them in the hutch.

I'm also interested to know if mice cause bunnies any harm as we're plagued by them in the autumn, in the house, kitchen, bedrooms, bathroom, etc etc.

Ray, if you want to get rid of them, don't waste time doing what I did. I tried every humane method going, but they ignored the live traps, booby traps, even tried asking them to go (had seen Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall do this on River Cottage!) But no, still scampering around and reproducing. So I'm afraid it was the traps and we caught about 2 a night for 2 weeks :shock: It was horrid, especially as I'd had pet mice before :( :(

But this was the only way to get them out.

I'm dreading this autumn and now I've got buns to worry about too :( If you discover a way to evict them, please let me know!!

Back