• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

VHD & Myxo Jabs Given Together - HELP!

AliBenMummy

Mama Doe
Hi there,

My bunny, Benny went to the vets on Friday to be vaccinated and the vet gave both jabs on the same night.

We got home and by the next morning Benny hadn't eaten anything and his poos were almost non-existent. I called the vets for advice and they said to keep him quiet and to encourage him to eat. I liquid fed him and gave him some Metacam just in case he was in pain...he's now eating loads of veg but nothing else, no pellets or hay. I also don't think he's drinking nearly anywhere near enough.

Since then, I have found out that these jabs should not be given together. I'm worried, as you can imagine. This is the first time in two years that I've vaccinated a bun, as the vets always advised me not to vaccinate Alice, my other bun because she has had health problems. I'm annoyed too because the vets are normally up to date on bunny meds, this girl is new though and I'm not at all confident in her abilities.

Does anyone have any advice on nursing poor Benny back to normal? I think he's getting back to normal, but I am worried about him not drinking or eating hay.

Thanks in advance.

Gemma

Hi Gemma

First I STRONGLY advise you to find another Vet.
Is your Bun pooing the normal amount? It is good that he is eating Veg as that will give him some fluid intake too.
I would not give him any more Metacam. Just try to encourage him to eat.
Dandelion leaves, grass, leaves from an apple tree, his fave Veg, Herbs.
I dont know how old you are but I think some-one needs to have a stern word with the Vet.
Try not to worry, (easier said than done I know), as your Bun will hopefully be back to normal soon. As long as there is a bit of food going in and some poos coming out Bun should be OK.

Janex

Hi Jane,

This girl is a new vet to the practice, all the others are great with both buns. I have never felt confident with her and usually ask to see one of the others who I have complete confidence in. I didn't think I would need to do this for something as simple as vaccinations - obviously I was wrong! I most definately will be making a complaint to the vets about their new vet and at least she'll hopefully learn from her mistake. I definately won't be seeing her again though.

Benny's poos seem to have returned almost to the normal size but they're fewer than normal. I got in from work and gave him a big bowl of veg and he's almost eaten the lot. At the moment he's in the garden and I think he's eating some grass, so it's looking like he's on the mend. The grass is damp too, so I'm guessing he'll get fluids from that. I'll monitor him this evening and see what he's eaten overnight, if he's still a bit "off" I think I'll take him, but it's looking like I won't need to now.

Thanks for your quick reply.

Gemma

Sounds like your Bun is doing OK!! :D
Sorry I was not sure if you were an adult or not :oops: this Forum is open to all!!
Hopefully the new Vet will learn from this mistake. Although you and your Bun should NOT have to be a 'learning curve'.... :roll:

Janex

Hello

I have 2 rabbits which I took to the vets this morning for their booster vaccs. They were due both Mxyo and HDV but I assumed that they would be given one today and I would be asked back another day for the second ones- as that is what has happened in the past.

When I got there I was surprised when the vet told me that she would be performing both vaccs together. I asked if this was ok to do and she assured me that it would be fine- assuming she knew best - I agreed.

I've come home from work this evening and found one of my rabbits (Thumper) really off colour- I'm really worried about him. He's only picking a bit at his food-(he's normally a real food bag!) and looks really uncomfortable and upset. I'm trying to get him to eat his greens but I'm very worried as I just know something is wrong.... I'm hoping he'll be back on form tomorrow but I will be complaining to the vets. I'll certainly trust my instincts and said no to my vet next time. I'll follow your advice below re recovery for Thumper ... I just hope he'll be ok...

Hi there,

It sounds like Thumper is reacting in exactly the same way as Benny did. Poor Benny was off-colour for about 2 days and would only eat some wet spring greens and dandelions. He's absolutely fine now, but his immune system took a battering and I think that's what makes them feel unwell. Keep Thumper warm and try to tempt him with his favourite foods, also make sure he drinks to flush out his system.

Wishing Thumper a speedy revovery!

Please could you tell me how you get on with your vet when you complain too. Mine didn't seem to have much to say, apart from apologise!

Gemma

This may be a lesson to members, its great this thread was started, i for one was certainly not aware of this risk and i am now confident that when i take mine for their Vacs i will book them in for a myxi one week and then book them in for VHD the next, without mentioning it to the vet :wink:
Thanks!

My vets always insist on a 2 week delay between vaccs and even write that down on their vaccination card and we book the second appointment then. Is so annoying that there are vets out there who clearly have no clue about rabbit care but you can bet that they will know exactly about cats and dogs!!

Get well vibes for Thumper

I'm glad I read this too, I've not taken Honey for her vaccs yet but I was asking what age they did them at last time I was there and the vet said to me that he always gives them together, that some people disagree with it but he's never had any problems.

Gemma x

Through moving around the country i've now visited 3 vets in the last 2 yrs and each one has said to leave 2 weeks between the jabs. Mine have never had a problem this way. The vets actually warned me not to have them together. It's surprising that as there are only 6 vets universities you would have thought that they could each tutor the students correctly on rabbit vaccinations. Hope your bunnies are both ok now and recovering.
Keep usall posted :)

Just as well my two were too young (just under 8 weeks old) to get VHD, done as I think if they'd have been old enough the vet would have done them both yesterday. She actually had to look up what vaccinations they needed before I brought them in and made a pin cusion of Gasket's ear, who kept squirming, poor thing. Also, neither the vet nor the vet nurse were too sure of Gasket's sex, its supposed to be a girl, but they think she might be a he. :shock: They are sure Tappet is a boy though.. So anyway, getting another hutch at the weekend so I can separate them until they are old enough to be neutered.

mine are left with a 2 week gap cant believe vets would do this they could have killed your bunnies b*****y idiots as they are!

glad Ben is ok and ginnymac hope Thumper is ok soon too

Thumper back on form

Hello everyone (and thanks for your kind words!)

I'm really relieved to be able to report that Thumper seems to be pretty much back on form. He's been a lot brighter today and is eating (not quite as much as he usually might but hes having a good try) One funny thing we did notice was that when we went to clean out his litter tray today he's been weeing loads more than usual and his water bowl was empty- I guess his little body is trying to flush out any ill effects.
Phew :D I'm so relieved... I'll definately book my buns in for seperate vaccs next time!

Back