• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rare breeeds/petshops what is wrong with people???

kitschkitty

Mama Doe
I noticed in our local pet shop (was buying Deej's hay & food) They had a silver fox bun reserved - a note on his cage said he was a rare breed with only a few breeders in the country breeding them

HOW THICK DO THEY THINK PEOPLE ARE???

In fact I have to wonder how thick some people really are.

If you are breeding a rare breed surely you wouldn't (need to) be supplying a pet shop - you 'd have a long waiting list of people wanting to home your "rare" buns. If you have *ahem* surplus stock of a rare breed surely you need to reconsider your breeding plan.

I find this kind of thing unbelievable (and I have absolutely no objections to breeding - in a proper manner).

All I can think is that this bun didn't make the show standard so was sold off to the pet shop - poor bunster.

Also have you noticed the different prices for different breeds. :(

Can I ask if that was Cosham Dog Grooming/Best Pals? :?

Sounds like the sort of thing they do :(

swiss fox are a rare breed.
perhaps someone in the pet shop misread swiss for silver? though since the swiss fox is a long haired breed its more or less unmistakeable :roll:

I visit a breeders site frequently as they have great advice for health on buns, but they're always furious about freead posts stating a mini lop is rare because it's (some made up colour) i.e they stuck two buns together and got a weird unstandard colour. That apparently means they can fleece people into thinking it's rare. They're always getting ads pulled and complaining about misadvertised animals.
Whether it's rare or not, peopl should want it because they like it, not bcause it's rare, that's just going to encourage people to want to breed from it.

Gem said:
Can I ask if that was Cosham Dog Grooming/Best Pals? :?

Sounds like the sort of thing they do :(

No it was a shop in central Portsmouth (even though I always get Deej's food there I can never remember the name of it)!

maxxev said:
swiss fox are a rare breed.
perhaps someone in the pet shop misread swiss for silver? though since the swiss fox is a long haired breed its more or less unmistakeable :roll:

It was definitely a silver fox - short haired, and I looked it up on Google to check if there were any registered breeders in the area!

Back