• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Poor Benji is ill :o(

Benjiandbarney

Warren Scout
Since yesterday Benji has not been eating or poo-ing. He doesn't seem in pain, infact he's hyper than ever. I still decided to take him to the vets today. He has a high temperature poor little lad :? His teeth are in good condition and he got weighed for the very 1st time - only 1.06kg, I knew he was ickle but not that tiny! Anyway he had 2 injections and Ive gotta inject him tomorrow with baytril I think. If he is not better by Weds we have to take him back. Im very worried though as thought it was GI Status, but the vet checked his tummy and said it all feels normal. Still worried though,think I will defiently keep a close eye on him.
Has anyone had problems like this with their buns??

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww Sorry i've not been about for a couple of days only just caught up with this thread, hows poor little Benji doing :love: :love: :love: :love:

BENJI UPDATE

Im worried still as hes not eating as much as he normally does :( Prob another vet visit tomorrow. He seems to be ok in himself but somethings not right.... We are still injecting him baytril. Will update you tomorrow!

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww I'm sorry to read this, AWWWWWW take him back to the vets tomorrow, sending you and Benji lots of love :love:

Thanks Ali - Im just worried im going to loose him just like I lost Barney last month. Benji has always been an ill bunnie, he has had snuffles since he was very little and it just wont shift :( He is also very little at only 1kg, he eats loads but cant put weight on. I got my buns last year from a breeder - makes you wonder if I got a dodgy pair of buns?? :? My future buns I will make sure I get them from a rescue centre

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwww I know I thought I was going to loose Bella two days ago, she really went down hill, after her spaying op, I didnt eat or sleep for two days, they are such a worry, and I was so upset, but luckily she turned the corner and today seems ok again, fingers crossed.

I would deffo take Benji back to the vets tomorrow, Barney came from a breeder, so did Bella and Benji, but a different one to Barney, I was on the thinking that if they came from a breeder and not a cross they would be ok health wise, but I am now not so sure, what with what happened to Barney, so quickly, I dont know what to think now :? :?

Anyway sending you and Benji lots of vibes to get better soon little man you are adorable, please get better soon for your bunny mummy :love: :love:

Has your Vet checked Benji's teeth? As he appears to be ok in himself, just not eating as much I wonder if he has some sharp spurs on his molar teeth. This would make eating painful and he would get 'hyper' if hungry but affraid to eat cos it hurts to do so. Consequently he would not poo much as his guts would slow down.
I would def' ask Vet about a possible tooth problem tomorrow.

Janex

Thanks Ali :p So strange as your Barney (he was identical to my barney, I look at your pics and cant believe it!!) passed away a week before mine. Sad isnt it, I cried for days - hes buried in our garden and we always put colourful flowers on his grave :)

Ah I do hope he feels better soon. Princess is recovering from bloat at the mo and isn't eating like she normally is :( Just want her back to her old self! Healing vibes for Benji.

Nicola

Hi Jane

Thank you for your message. Yes vet checked all of Benji's teeth (which he hated!) and they all appear fine. He is sleeping at the moment bless him - will keep you updated tomorrow.

Benjiandbarney said:
Thanks Ali :p So strange as your Barney (he was identical to my barney, I look at your pics and cant believe it!!) passed away a week before mine. Sad isnt it, I cried for days - hes buried in our garden and we always put colourful flowers on his grave :)

I know its so sad and I still cry most days, :cry: my Barney is buried outside my kitchen window, and everytime I look out I see him, I have put a bunny statue, where he lies :cry: :cry:

Please give your little Benji and nose rub and a cuddle from me, he's such a cute little bunny, please get better soon Benji xxxxxxxxxxx

Oh poor benji i hope & i will pray for him that he gets well, give him & kiss & a (((((Hug))))) from me please

Hi sweetie :D ,

Just wondered what you're feeding your little benji? I have a bun who has teeth trouble which also means he isn't getting enough fibre in his diet. This in turn can slow down a bunnys guts. I know that your bunny doesn't have teeth trouble but I just wondered whether he's getting enough fibre in his diet to keep his tum ticking over properly.

I feed my buns a high fibre complete food like Science Selective or Allen and Page natural rabbit pellets. I also make sure they've always got lots of hay and dried grass so that they get a good amount of fibre every day.

One of my buns is unable to eat hay so he often has trouble with his tum and causes it to slow down. Sometimes this makes him miserable and he will stop eating and drinking. Also if a bun isn't getting enough fibre in their diet it can cause a bunny to have hairballs and they can have trouble passing them. This in turn can make them feel full and uncomfortable and they will stop eating.

What do you feed your little bun? Does he eat lots of hay and/or dried grass?

Please let us know how the dear chap gets on.

Love and hugs,

Nicola and Harvey xxx

Back