• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Icky Bum... long story!

Groovychick1804

Warren Scout
Hi, I havent really posted on here for along time!

I have a female rabbit called Misty, we got her off a friend of a friend about 8 months ago as they had a new arrival to the family and never had time to look after her properly, dont get me wrong they feed her and kept her clean but never had enough time with her to let her out for a good run!

Anyway, me being the rabbit lover, and just loosing my male rabbit I decided to take her off them!! she is such a gorgous rabbit! when we first got her she hated being handled, we struggled and struggled everynight to catch her and put her in her cage for the night!!! anyway afew months passed and she seemed to get better both my mum, dad and I could catch her really easily!!

Now..... shes back to normal, well saying that is wrong, shes just a clever little rabbit and detestes being picked up coz she knows shes going in her cage!!! The other night it was dark she was in our garage for 2 hours trying to be caught! during the day shes fine we can stroke her etc but at night time thats a different matter, every single twitch you make she zooms away! we finally got her in with my mum hiding outside and we put grapes in her cage!

Sorry about the ranting lol! now to the icky bun!

Shes on the grass during the day aswell as free run! Mum and dad tried to clean her bun take the thick off, sitsstill on her bun mums put vaseline on it to try and softern it for her to lick it off! Shes pooing normally now though! Shes out on the concrete today instead of the grass, got all her toys in it and stuff! Hope she cleans it or we will have to give her a rear wash tomorrow!!!!

Do you mean her Bum is mucky from poo?
If so you may be feeding her too much dried pellet feed and not enough hay.
She may have a dental problem preventing her from keeping herself clean
She may have pain in her spine/hips making eating her soft poos (caecotrophs) impossible.
I suggest you ask your Vet to give Misty a thorough check up and also consider modifiying her diet to increase the fibre and decrease the protein/carbohydrate.
A Bun with a constantly mucky Bum has a problem of some sort so its best to address the PROBLEM not just the SYMPTOM.

Good Luck :D

Janex

Thanks for the quick reply!

I dont think shes got dental problems as she went for a checkup afew months ago and shes washing her self ok!

I think she might be having too many pellets and grass so ill feed her more hay to see if this sorts out her bum! I check it every day its just i think shes pood and pood and its got too much for her to clean!

Thanks

I would still advise getting your Bun checked by a Vet to rule out any physical cause for her mucky Bum

Janex

The other thing to conside is if your bun is over wieght, if they are they may not be able to keep themselves clean.

I have a foster bun who lived in a 3 foot cage having very little exercise, she was grossly overweight and fed mainly on a mix and ate little hay. Since getting her weight down, feeding her lots of hay by drastically cutting the number of dry food she eats and weaning her dry food over to a pelleted form, she now has a spotless bum :D

thanks for all the help, i have got her in her run on the concrete today! she has been out for and hour and a half free running on tghe grass!!

Back