• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Polish rabbits

Azraelm

Wise Old Thumper
I know Polish are rather like dainty netherlands in appearance but I just read in general chat that they do not usually have a nice temperament.

Is that true of most of them? Does anyone else here have one?

(And why would certain breeds develop traits like aggressiveness?, I know it happens but not sure why :? )

thanks x

I have heard this too. The reason is sure to be inbreeding for appearance/size only without regard to temperament :roll: The same mentality that breeds rabbits with ridiculaous coats that can't groom themselves or dogs that can't breathe properly :x :x

yes this is too, but more so in the REW poles, u will find the coloured pole to be more friendly but then u do still have that few that arent, its like with most breeds, the smaller they are the more aggressive, i knw that not the case for all, but in dogs aswell, the great dane is the one of the softest breeds but then u find small breeds to be more snappy

i have pole but he is soooo friendly and sweet, i know people are afraid of him at 1st :lol: but then they find out how sweet natured he is, i knw he can get a bit 'excited' when in busy environments like rabbit diplays and shows where there are alot of people about, so we dont tend to take him, but he was at the discovery section at london this year and i didnt get any complaints and he seemd fine.

becky

Its pretty sickening :x

I suppose i'm thinking of the whole nature vs. nuture debate really...how can they all be aggressive?? I think the way a person/animal turns out is dependent on both- each ends up being a contributing factor :?

Poles

Quote from Rabbitlopaedia by Meg Brown and Virginia Richardson:

"I quaked in my shoes when confronted with a table full of Poles! We needed a team of stewards to field them as they flew up in the air and over our heads - absolutely fascinating little beggars! Some told me that on show days some breedes give their exhibits a teaspoon of Vodka to encourage their sprightly ways. It is the judges who need the Vodka!"

I was savaged by a particularly nasty Black one at a show :(

I would never have one :(

Back