• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Question on large/senior rabbits

Camellia

Warren Scout
Do they tend to eat less than smaller or younger rabbits?

I find that Kamea (an 8 yr old, californian, around 10-12 lbs.) eats much less than any of my others do; My little girls I can see that because they are still growing, they are around 6 mos. old (4 of them) however she eats less than either Kippes or Kalliope eat individually. Those two are around 3 yrs old, both are dwarf mixes (They weigh 4-5 lbs)

Is this normal or is this a problem? I haven't had her long so I dont really know what is normal for *her*.

We are going to the vet with her on Wednesday for a wellness-checkup, just wondering if eating less than my younger/smaller rabbits is normal or abnormal :? She is active when out of her cage and likes to toss around toys/dig and chew so she must be working up an appetite...

Thanks

Maybe get the Vet to check her teeth.
If she has not had a good hay based diet in her previous home she may have molar spurs that need burring down to enable her to eat without discomfort. Also, I'd get an accurate weight check on her. Then you can monitor her and see if she is maintaining her weight.
Keep a check on her poo production too. If they look very small and dry then that is indicative of 'sluggish guts'.

Janex

OK thanks.

I have no idea what her previous diet was :?

Her bunny poops are fine :)

That's one thing I'm always on top of lol

never had a bun in stasis but certainly don't want to miss treating it early if I ever did end up with a stasis bun :?

Back