• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help - Rooby not eating

SerenityS

Young Bun
Hello there

I noticed Rooby isn't his usual self this morning and didn't go mad to get out of his cage, he was just lying there. He hasn't eaten and is sitting under the table looking sorry for himself.

I don't think this is relevant but my husband has the flu and my son (whom Rooby adores) is spending the night at his friends.

Any advice would be very welcome.

Jo

Awww, bless him.
When was the last time he ate? Has he done any poops? Is he grinding his teeth and all huddled up?

Try him with dandelion leaves, or parsley/ basil and try to get some liquids down him - give him a bowl as well as a bottle to drink out of.

when this happens to my bunnies, it is generally a bit of wind, and I give 1ml infacol and lots of tummy rubs and liquid.

However, it may be gut stasis which is very serious in bunnies and needs to be treated very quickly.

Hello Helen

Rooby most definitely had something substantial to eat just after 9 last night. As for the poops, I've only just cleaned his litter tray and removed every poop from his cage, so I can see if he is doing business. He is not sitting hunched at all but possibly shifting about, but that could be because he wanted to get away from me and sit quietly. How much longer should I leave it before calling the vet? We can almost say he hasn't eaten for 12 hours, I cannot envisage he has eaten any hay this morning.

I will try the Infacol and give him time to see if he poos.

Thank you

Jo

Oh dear it sounds like he has a tummy ache :(
Has he poo'd his normal amount overnight?
If not you need to contact a vet TODAY as he will need meds to get his tum working and pain relief to stop it hurting.

If he is still pooing then try giving him 2ml Infacol (you can buy it at most supermarkets in the baby care section) and some gentle tummy rubs.
Make sure he feels warm as poorly buns loose body temperature quickly. You can try to tempt him with his fave veg or dandelion leaves. But if he has not improved within a couple of hours it is ESSENTIAL to get him examined by a Vet TODAY.
Please keep us posted

EDITED TO SAY IF HE HAS NOT EATEN/POO'D FOR 12+ HOURS CALL A VET NOW.
Janex

His cage was cleaned out yesterday and as he spent majority of the day outside it, there was mostly definitely the amount of poos expected. I'm going to go now and get some Infacol and will keep you posted.

Thanks

Jo

I've just brought my son home and Matt was greeted with a wee flick :shock: and we have had 1 poo. He also consumed a small amount of his pellets. Fingers crossed.

Phew! That sounds like good news. Hope he produces more poos and starts to eat more.

I just want to add that my vet told me that human bacteria like flu, pass thru their system, and it does not affect them whatsoever.

Just want to let you know that Roobs is alot bright now and has passed many poos to our delight. Thanks for all your advice.

Jo

Back