• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Feel Guilty / not sure what to do -Help!!

Ray

Young Bun
Hi everyone.
I have a lovely 18month old male rabbit who lives in a spacious hutch in the garden. The problem is I feel guilty as since I have began working full time (I also have 2 young children) he is not getting the attention he deserves, basically (& I am ashamed to say - please don't hate me) The only time I go to him is to feed him each evening, which to be honest is only a quick hello. He does have free run of the garden & enjoys running around the kids when they are out but I am worried for the winter months. I am in a dilema as to what is the best option for him - here are my choices:

1. give him to a rescue/RSPCA
2.Get him a friend so he is not lonely
3.Bring him inside and keep him as a house rabbit

I know I have probably upset all of you dedicated rabbit owners but i really do want to do whats best for him & would appreciate any advice you have to give.
Thank you in advance x x

My bunnies live indoors, which is great because as soon as I get out of bed, there they are. I love having them indoors, my non-rabbity friends think I am mad and it took a lot to persuade o/h, but it's brill!! I don't pick them up all the time, but I always give them a stroke and they get loads of exercise hopping around the house. They seem happy just being around us. The only thing is the obvious, being careful of wires, getting the bun litter trained, etc.
I think you are being a great bunny mum just by worring what is best for him. Don't feel guilty for that!!
Good luck.
Nicola x

Yeah, if you can, it would be lovely to have two buns together :D Mine adore each other and are forever grooming each other and playing together....
Nicola x

Awww, you are only trying to find out what is best for your bun - noone will blame you for that :wink:

Yup, I think a friend will be good :D That way he will have company and it sounds like he has a fab home with you - would be a shame to take him to the rspca :(

I agree! A freind would be great. I have two pairs of bunnies outside, so I don't feel guilty when I can't spend much time with them, and they snuggle up to each other and groom each other. Two bunnies are not any more work than one either.
Honeybunny's rescue is based in Leicester, and I 'm sure Jill (username on here honeybunny) would help you to find a friend for him and help with the bonding process.

He's much luckier than a lot of bunnies out there, by the way, who get no time out of a hutch :D

I'd get him a girlfriend and both live outside. They'll have a much better life with you than many many buns do, even if you don't feel you're giving them enough attention they'll have each other

Get him a girlfriend - if he is neutered of course! Otherwise get him neuterd and then get him a girlfriend. Rabbit company is much more important than human company for them. As long as you feed and health check him and let him out he doesn't need more of your time.

Thank you all for your kind words! - I will definately get him a girlfriend (yes he is neuterd) I was going to get him a girlfriend back in april but I had a major cash crisis (hence why I am now working full time!) Now though I am gettting back on track so can give my boy the best he deserves!!
Thank you all again - I don't feel quite so bad now :D
Ray x x

From a Rescue & personal point of view I admire your honesty. I really feel you can only make this decision as you know your circumstances.

Here are a couple of questions to ask yourself.
If you decide to get him a friend
Have you the time to help bond them?
Can you afford the extra Vet costs for another rabbit, ie extra vaccinations every year.
Having him as a house rabbit does have its advantages as he would get more attention from yo. and your children.
However having a friend for him would be company for him. I really do feel for you as it is a tough decision to have to make, but I know you will make the right decision for you and the bun.

Back