• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Children breeding rabbits

Azraelm

Wise Old Thumper
Following on from the thread in rabbit welfare about the 11 year old girl wanting to breed I've just rung up about a freeads rabbit....

Phone was answered by a very abrupt 12 year old who when I asked why she was getting rid of her rabbit she said she breeds them and now has too many! Not often tho, she said :roll:

Can't believe any parent would let their child do this, let alone have the responsibility- she made it obvious that it was her that does this and not them :eek:

I suppose it depends on what the parents did when they were young. My dad bred budgies, canaries and rabbits when he was growing up from the age of 6 :shock: to earn money and doesn't see anything wrong with doing it to earn 'pocket money'. In fact he tells Angus (my son) to breed something to earn money and we just argue when I try to tell him why it's not a good idea. He was absolutely gobsmacked when I said I was spaying Pippa as in his day that never happened. With parents like him (and I'm sure there's quite a few out there), how can we educate kids to rescue not breed?

Yes, i think you're right :(

Unfortunately my conciouness (sp?) wont allow me to get this rabbit now as I do not want to encourage her breeding. This was the ad, sounds more like a person fed up with a pet (or found they are allergic etc due to the rabbits young age):

NG25 - 10 miles
Sat 2nd September INDOOR rabbit cage, new, £20, female baby rabbit, black & white, 10 weeks old, £5.

well, you can hardly blame them if adults do it too IYSWIM.

Tbh, parents might think it shows initiative, responsibility etc... and so might encourage their kids to do it.

woodstock said:

Tbh, parents might think it shows initiative, responsibility etc... and so might encourage their kids to do it.

what is IYSWIM?

but it is hardly showing responsbility is she has allowed it do get out of control...she said she has too many now!

Its also not teaching her to value life...

I've never understood parent's buying pets to teach their children responsibility. Children learn from copying role models like their parents.

Buying a rabbit and telling a child to look after it and then complaining at them that they don't doesn't teach them anything and getting rid of it becuase they're not looking after it shows them the opposite - you don't have to be responsible someone else will deal with things when you can't be bothered.

Plus, at 5/6 years old which is when a lot of the parents start children aren't ready to be 'the responsible adult' they're a child!!!

Having a family pet that the parent and child looks after and both wants is one thing but handing a child a rabbit and expecting them to care for it is :roll:

mandy said:
woodstock said:

what is IYSWIM?

but it is hardly showing responsbility is she has allowed it do get out of control...she said she has too many now!

Its also not teaching her to value life...

Sorry - IYSWIM = If you see what I mean

Yes, a six year old's interest doesn't last very long. My son was desperate for a guinea pig, now, I was quite interested but wouldn't have got one if it wasn't for him. He promised he'd look after it, love it, etc etc and his interest lasted about 2 days!! I'm quite happy as I now have a piggy and I think he's lovely. Now he's 'desperate' for a hamster and a dog - I don't think so ......

Back