• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Poor Maa is in the wars again

elve

Banned
After the vet said she'd be PTS if her abscess came back, I was in a right panic when I noticed pus weeping out of her face last week :( Other than that she was fine - galloping, pooping and eating like a small horse, and generally in love with life (perfecting the art of spraying wee in mid-gallop! :p )

Gwen who helps at Maa's old rescue kindly said she'd take her to her vets, but I thought I'd just give my vet one last chance - there's no way I'd agree to have her killed for something as trivial as a bit of pus! So we saw 'nice vet' Julie (not the one who mentioned PTS), who whilst having a knack of making me feel stupid and worthless, is definitely a good vet - and I am a bit useless when it comes to nursing :oops:

It took her 3 minutes to clean all the pus out of Maa's abscess! 3 minutes!!!! :eek: I persuaded her to give me some metronidazole again for Maa, as well as the ubiquitous baytril, since metronidazole worked last time for her - and she agreed!!! :D

I was sternly instructed to clean the pus out every day, but so far (day 3) there's been no sign of pus (phhheeeeeeeeewwww! :roll: says the wuss :oops: ) and Maa is booked in twice next week with Julie, just incase it needs cleaning again - I decided £20 a throw consultation fee was better than throwing Maa into a new environment at Gwen's, with less freedom than she enjoys now - all the stress could have killed her.

So - fingers crossed/prayers said for Maa again - poor girl's had such bad luck since she got that hay stuck in her mouth - although she's looking pretty happy with life I'm glad to say - she's so sweet natured and a real character - I'd miss her so much - she's a bunny with boots on! :lol:

Fingers crossed for Maa xx

I've met Gwen BTW...when I was over at Kirkby a couple of weeks ago :)

I'm sorry to hear Maa's abcess came back :cry: Poor girl :cry:

Even more so as my ickle Nethie Thistle had his eye removed three weeks ago for the same reason :? So far the wound has healed beautifully despite the vet being certain pus would keep forming and leaving the wound open for drainage. He has had metronidazole, baytril and penicillin jabs for his but I had to stop the antibiotics before the month she wanted him on them as his bum got a bit runny and he wasn't eating well and the probiotic was putting him off his water :(

No offense Elve, but abcesses are persistant and DO need thorough cleaning out to heal. Leaving them be and hoping that they don't get reinfected really isn't the way to go about it, as you've found out from doing it in the past I'm sure :?
When the situation is as serious as this (and I know facial abcesses can be serious as they can attach to bone), surely you should be following the vets advice (I'd personally clean it daily) to ensure she gets better and doesn't have to be PTS?

Elve,

I am sorry that Maa is poorly again. I know you are doing the best you can for her. I am such a woose that I have to take my rabbits to the vet to have their nails clipped.

Is there anyone locally who could come in and hold Maa in a towel so that you could attempt to clean it out. I find it so hard because am by myself and you really need four arms not two to treat a rabbit?

Look forward to hearing from you next weekend.

Best

Lorrainexxx

Hi :D Thanks for all your good wishes for Maa - and I'm sorry to hear about Thistle Louise :(

I took Maa to the vets Monday, to have her abscess cleaned as I can't do it - Julie pulled off the scab and was astonished to find just a pin-head sized bit of pus underneath, and it was all healed up nearly - must be the metronidazole! Certainly not the baytril or the nursing care from me!

So Julie's put her on another week of metronidazole, since Maa's poos are perfect at the moment - I reckon the probiotic in science selective must help, which she eats loads of (about 3 good handfuls a day - much more than the other buns). It's nearly healed completely now - it's amazing how fast she makes new tissue!

I think they need a lot of extra pellets when on antibiotics maybe? Just an idea floating in my head - any thoughts anyone?

I've also been giving Maa a bromelain tablet every day (from holland and barrett), in the belief that it will dissolve the mucus that tends to flourish when the 'bad bacteria' get ahold of the gut flora - Not sure if it works but she adores the pinapple taste!

I'm glad Maa is looking better. Thistle is too. The wound is only a fraction of what it was and there is no more pus now he is back on the Met and Bay and I have been flushing it daily - it is a good thing I can do it as I have two guineas with horrid abcesses too :? . I have left out the pen jabs and his tummy has been fine. He is the first bun I have had get a bad tum from them, but it is always a possibility with the jabs.

He isn't eating more pellets - none in fact :? He is holding out for guinea pig food :roll: (And getting it :oops: )

That's great news! She's such a little trooper :D Well done for hanging in their for her. Even if you don't want to do the squeezing your willing to foot the bill and not give up on her. That makes you a top bunny mum in my books :D

Back