• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

medicine advice needed

johannapage

Warren Scout
what circumstances such baytril, metacam and infacol be given?

just wondering as im making my bun first aid box up but need to knwo when it should be given?

thanks

To be on the safe side you shouldnt give drugs to your rabbit unless you know what your doing or have had very good advise from someone else on its use. Its ok to have them to hand but theirs no substitute for proper knowledge in how and when to give these things safely. Do remember that batril can go off, and metacam . You may have it hanging around for a few years and never use it. val

i wouldnt give it to her without the ok from a vet first anyway, just thought it would be handy to have around,

purly out of interest what does each do?

Baytril is an antibiotic - so it's VERY important that it is only given under veterinary supervision (it's a prescription only medicine anyway so not really something for a first aid kit). Inappropriate use/dose of antibiotics can make buns very sick or even kill them as they can alter the good bacteria that the bun has for digesting food.

Metacam is a painkiller, it is also prescription only and inappropriate use can again cause damage (kidneys I think) and stomach ulceration. The right dosage is absolutely tiny. Again I would only give this under the supervision of a vet.

Infacol is a baby medicine which you can buy in a chemist, if your bun has a gassy tum, it helps to break the gas down so that your bun can pass it more easily. It is not absorbed by the body so in the 'normal' dosages, it is fairly safe. But again, at the risk of sounding like a stuck record, it should really only be used in an emergency - a bun with symptoms of a painful gut should be got to a vet ASAP.

baytril has a very short shelf life too. i think i read it was only about two weeks :? (damn my morning mind! :oops: ...erm... anyone know what the shelf life of baytril is?)

Injectable Baytril has a long shelf life as long as it remains in the sterile manufacturers bottle(remains seeled as special top for drawing up doses) and a STERILE needle is used to draw up each dose.
Vets usually dispense oral Baytril in a small plastic bottle, hence the reduced shelf life as plastic bottle is not seeled.

Janex

Back