• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Easy way to give baytril?

I give Maisie her Baytril on top of her pellets. Then I put some dry pro-biotic in the same bowl and I use a small piece of apple or celery to wipe up any residue left in the bowl.

raine said:
I give Maisie her Baytril on top of her pellets. Then I put some dry pro-biotic in the same bowl and I use a small piece of apple or celery to wipe up any residue left in the bowl.
ok will try that thanks :wink:

I've managed it by -

putting it on a few porridge oats

scoring a piece of apple or carrot and letting it soak into the top

squidging it into a slice of banana

putting just a little bit around the middle of a piece of science selective (so the middle is covered but the bit the bun tastes first is ok, and the other end is ok so your fingers don't get covered) and hand feeding the pieces one at a time. Takes about 5 mins to get it all done but I find it quite un-stressful for the bun!

Good luck!

AlisonA said:
I've managed it by -

putting it on a few porridge oats

scoring a piece of apple or carrot and letting it soak into the top

squidging it into a slice of banana

putting just a little bit around the middle of a piece of science selective (so the middle is covered but the bit the bun tastes first is ok, and the other end is ok so your fingers don't get covered) and hand feeding the pieces one at a time. Takes about 5 mins to get it all done but I find it quite un-stressful for the bun!

Good luck!

i always mix antibiotics with apple juice. they dont usualy kick up so much of a fuss and half the time will just lick it of the end of the syringe.

I put mine onto bread as it soaks it up and most of my buns will eat bread no matter what mood they're in (wholemeal/brown is best) and not too much.

Maa's abscess has come back and she's on baytril and metronidazole at the moment - I moisten some SS pellets in hot water, mash them and let them cool (incase the heat destroys the antibiotic?) I drip the baytril over the mush, grind the metronidazole tablet between 2 spoons, and add a ground up bromelain tablet to hide the taste (the pineapple enzyme tablets from holland and barrett) - she wolfs it down no problem - I could never syringe her as I'm too much of a wuss :)

Oh good, bless him!
I syringe it, but mix it with pineapple juice. Salt loves it!

Well yesterday i put it on his spring green he wouldnt touch it,so last night i put some on some grated up carrot,again never touched it,so i had to struggle syringe feeding him last night,im not doing it today,as he wouldnt come near me this moring :cry: and now he wont eat any of the foods ive put the baytril on :(
He is only eating cererly,brocali and apple

After trouble with one of mine, I swear by banana or raisins with baytril in it. I feed that first & when that's gone, they get pellets!

Good Luck! (I hate syringe feeding - if biting bun ever needs baytril, I'm spraying at him :shock: :lol: )

You should be able to get it into apple, score a piece with a knife then 'inject' the baytril into it as best you can, and let it soak for half an hour or so. Apple is quite strong flavoured too so he's less likely to notice it. Might be worth a try?

AlisonA said:
You should be able to get it into apple, score a piece with a knife then 'inject' the baytril into it as best you can, and let it soak for half an hour or so. Apple is quite strong flavoured too so he's less likely to notice it. Might be worth a try?
Just tried this
it didnt work :( he ate a bit then stopped now he wont touch any apple

Back