• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is this right?

Gem

Wise Old Thumper
Heathcote Rabbit boarding and Rabbitry in Lymington, New Forest don't insist that boarders are vaccinated :?

All mine will be re vax'd before December, would I be alright to use them or would you not recommend I use them?

None of my 80 odd rabbits are jabed, mainly because theirs no way i could fund it. But the big plus is were i am theres no chance of getting myxi as im a good ten miles away from the nearest wild rabbits. But i still advise pet owners to get there rabbits done. Not sure about the area you have mentioned. Although it sounds like a place that would have wild rabbits. It would be at the owners discretion as to wether they would board there. If you live in an area that gets it then you should, i carnt see it would make a difference if theres wernt done at the boarding place.If they had an outbreak it would meen theres would be at greater danger of course but the peoples rabbits that were boarded should be asked to get inoculated.Your rabbit would not be at a greater risk because the boarding centers rabbits werent done. Not sure all that made sense :lol: hope you get my meaning. val

Hi Gem

just a personal opinion of mine but I would not use a boarders unless they asked for up to date vaccination certs.

If it were a cattery or kennels and they said you could bring your cats and dogs with no vaccinations.... I would be very concerned.

I have always had to board my pets, cats, rabbits etc... and everytime I have been asked for up to date vaccination details. No exceptions.

As said if I found a place that didnt want them I wouldnt use. We vaccination to protect our pets so why put them at risk by boarding with other pets that have none.. if you get what I mean!

But thats just my thoughts, it will be interesting to see if others have come across same.

Deb x

taylor v 109 said:
But the big plus is were i am theres no chance of getting myxi as im a good ten miles away from the nearest wild rabbits.

:( that's what they all think until they get it. I'm in the middle of a housing estate but I still lost a rabbit to myxi. There is no way wild rabbits can get near mine but it's spread by biting insects. You walk into a petshop a pick up a flea off the clothing of a dog owner and bring it home - that's enough to infect your bunnies. I can understand not being able to afford it but I don't think there is anyone in the UK that can say there is no chance. Even indoor bunnies should be vaccinated. I didn't vaccinate because I thought there was 'no chance' that's why my bunny died. Now mine are done every 6 months.

Tam

i have 4 house bunnies but all mine are vaccinated against myxi and RVHD purely because it's not worth the risk,that said,it costs me enough to keep up with my lot never mind 80 bunnies :shock: you'd need to re-mortgage!!! :D

My bunnies are going to be boarded tomorrow for 5 days and I know that the owner likes them vaccinated! I f they don't insist on it then don't use them!

Just agreeing with Tamsin..you can never say you rabbits are not at risk from mxyi..it can spread anywhere and ALL rabbits should be vacinated.

One thing I point out to any potential adopters. If they say they can't afford to vacinate then I say they shouldn't have the pet. I do appreciate it is different on a rescue situation where people are trying their best to help animals in need and so can't afford to always vacs.

Back