View Full Version : Vets - again - UPDATE

01-09-2006, 08:45 AM
Dobbin is still poorly. Well we off to the vets today, i am hoping to come away with a bunny which is getting better. I am a bit worried though because she said she wants to take a swab but to do that she might have to put him under GA but then that is worrying because as she said he can't breathe very well. Well he seems to be ok breathing but as he has mucus and sneezing she said there is bound to be some problems. I am worried - these buns certainly like to worry us!!


01-09-2006, 08:49 AM
Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww I hope all goes well at the vets, I will be thinking of you both :love: :love: :love: :love:

01-09-2006, 08:51 AM
Aw poor Dobbin, I really hope you get to the bottom of this. Apart from the worry, there's all the stress for Dobbin going to the vets, I know Pippa hates it as she shakes from head to toe whilst the vet is looking at her :( :(

Sending hugs to Dobbin, to get better soon

01-09-2006, 09:02 AM
We seem the same vet - a lady called Abby - Dobbin really likes her. I do agree though it is stressful for him.

I am just so worried.


01-09-2006, 10:08 AM
Aww bless him, really hope all goes well at the vets :D Sending vibes for Dobbin xx

01-09-2006, 10:27 AM
Awwww poor Dobbin, these bunnies are a nightmare!

A decent swab should be really helpful - it will tell your vet exactly which antibiotic(s) she should be using to most effectively treat the infection, so there will be none of this guesswork as to which to use. It's sometimes hard to get a good nasal swab but hey, if you don't try, you won't know!

If Dobbin has quite thick discharge, it might be worth asking your vet to give you some bisolvon powder, this helps to thin the mucus so it drains away more easily instead of blocking his nose. Santa has a little daily, I squish it onto a little slice of carrot and she gobbles it up.

Good luck, hopefully once Dobbin is on the right antibiotic (for a decent amount of time) it should all clear up well. xxx

01-09-2006, 12:08 PM
Here`s sending healing vibes to Dobbin, how did you get on at the vets?


01-09-2006, 12:18 PM
ohhh hope hes ok .
what did the vet say ?


01-09-2006, 12:36 PM
my appointment is 3 o clock - the more i am waiting the more worried i am getting.


01-09-2006, 02:38 PM
Hope everything went ok at the vets. XXX

01-09-2006, 02:42 PM
Hope little Dobbin is ok :?

01-09-2006, 03:39 PM
Well the vets are stumped. He has got a week of oral and inject antibiotics - if they dont do it the vet does not know what she is going to do. She is going to do some research and get some advice this week. She took a swab from his nose but she does not think it will be enough, if not improvement in a week she may put him under to get a good swab - but sje said she does not want to do this as he may not pull through.

I am so worried bout my boy.

I am hoping the two antibiotics does not upset his tummy.


01-09-2006, 03:44 PM
Awww poor bunny :cry: Did they give you some probotics too? You could really do with some biolapis if on a lot of anti-biotics.

01-09-2006, 03:52 PM
Whas biolapsis? What it do?

I have put probiotic C in his water - although the vet did not say to - is it ok 2?


01-09-2006, 03:57 PM
Do you know the NAME of the antibiotics your Vet has prescribed?
My UNQUALIFIED opinion is that Dobbin is being given rather a lot of different antibiotics over a long period of time. Oral antibiotics at this stage does seem to be a bit risky and I wonder why just the injections (which are less likely to cause GI disturbance) are not enough.

Again, I emphasise this is just my UNQUALIFIED opinion, but I would certainly cross question a Vet who prescribed that amount of antibiotic treatment to any of my Buns.
I agree with Tree, a probiotic is definately a good idea.


01-09-2006, 04:10 PM
pls pls pls advise away - i dont want to lose my baby.

All three vets at the prctice had a meeting this morning because they are stumped. They decided to give this infection a good whack on antibiotics because he was on them for 3 weeks and it has not done anything.

According to my receipt the antibiotics are:

marbocyl oral
engemycin by injection

I am giving him probiotic in his water - anything else i can do, she said if he has diahrhea or does not eat to ge him straight down there.

I am sure you all know what i mean when i say he means so much to me.

HE has been sneezing since we got him from the famous pet shop!


01-09-2006, 05:02 PM
Well my concern is obviously his guts.
I think I would really want to try just the Engemycin or the Marbocyl but definately not both together. However, I am not a Vet and you need to follow PROFESSIONAL advice. All I am saying is that I would ask prescribing Vet if just one antibiotic can be tried, preferably via injection, as I am concerned re antibiotic induced Enterotoxaemia.Sadly once Bun actually has antibiotic induced Diarrhoea the damage is done.
You could also ask about giving Dobbin QUESTRAN (Cholestyramine) which is given orally and mops up the 'bad gut bacteria' before it is absorbed.
It is VERY important that you continue to seek your Vet's advice. All I say here is the opinion of a Bunny Mummy not a Vet!!

:D :D


01-09-2006, 05:06 PM
Well I guess if Dobbin was on antibiotics for 3 weeks and it didn't do anything, that just tells me that he's been on the wrong antibiotic for those particular bacteria! Hopefully changing the antibiotic will make a difference.

If your vet is going to try and get some advice, I would try and signpost her to the Bristol rabbit clinic, I believe they give telephone advice :? (I'm sure the number has been put on here before, I'll try and dig out the details for you).

Big hugs to you and little Dobbin xx

Edit: Yep here's the details of the Bristol referrals place: http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=16383&highlight=bristol+telephone

And PS I think Dobbin looks like a lionhead/dwarf lop cross. If he was a french lop-x he'd be huuuuuuuge by now!

01-09-2006, 05:08 PM
That is my concern to, he had 3 days of injections and then 7 of oral he then had over seven days of injections but he is no better at all so they are hoping that by hitting him with both for a week will do the job. Can i give him anything other than probotic to help his tummy - anything i can getn?


01-09-2006, 05:14 PM
Alison - thank you. How big does a french lop get?

i am so worried about him. I will pass the number onto the vet tommorrow, she said she was going to do some research so maybe she is doing that. She seems to have a soft spot for him and is doing all she can for him, she is not charging me for consultations either just medication.


01-09-2006, 05:16 PM
I would be inclined to cut out all sugary treats (including apple, carrot, grapes etc) as the sugar content can also upset the gut flora a little so probably not worth risking at the moment! I would also try and keep his diet as consistent as possible so there is nothing to upset him.

My Santa was on antibiotics for about 5 weeks in total (oral ones first, then injected penicillin) and she was absolutely fine all the way through so although there is a risk and it's important to do whatever you can to lower that risk, there is also a good chance that he will be fine. As I said to my vet when we swapped onto the penicillin - yes there is a risk involved, but there's also a risk to not being able to breathe!

Good luck with little Dobbin xxx

01-09-2006, 05:19 PM
What do you advise he has? At the moment a day he has unlimited grass and hay, about 15 pellets, 2 carrott tops, celery, parsley, coriander and 3 thin slices of carrot which i hide and he has to find!! Is this enough or to much?


01-09-2006, 05:22 PM
I think I'd just cut out the carrot to be on the safe side but leave everything else as it is (what do others think??)

Here's my friend Caroline's french lop - you can see from the food bowl in the background what sort of size she is :wink:


01-09-2006, 05:40 PM
Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww I cant offer you any advice, but I am sending you and Dobbin all our love and get well vibes, me Bella and Benji can send you. :love: :love: :love:

01-09-2006, 07:55 PM
thank you very much.

i am leaving out carrot, any more tips?


01-09-2006, 08:36 PM
Just wanted to say I hope he is feeling better soon


03-09-2006, 09:36 AM
The sneezes dont seem so violent today which is gd.


09-09-2006, 11:13 AM

How's Dobbin doing now?