• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Vets - again - UPDATE

Dobbin

Mama Doe
Dobbin is still poorly. Well we off to the vets today, i am hoping to come away with a bunny which is getting better. I am a bit worried though because she said she wants to take a swab but to do that she might have to put him under GA but then that is worrying because as she said he can't breathe very well. Well he seems to be ok breathing but as he has mucus and sneezing she said there is bound to be some problems. I am worried - these buns certainly like to worry us!!

Sue
xx

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww I hope all goes well at the vets, I will be thinking of you both :love: :love: :love: :love:

Aw poor Dobbin, I really hope you get to the bottom of this. Apart from the worry, there's all the stress for Dobbin going to the vets, I know Pippa hates it as she shakes from head to toe whilst the vet is looking at her :( :(

Sending hugs to Dobbin, to get better soon

We seem the same vet - a lady called Abby - Dobbin really likes her. I do agree though it is stressful for him.

I am just so worried.

Sue
xx

Awwww poor Dobbin, these bunnies are a nightmare!

A decent swab should be really helpful - it will tell your vet exactly which antibiotic(s) she should be using to most effectively treat the infection, so there will be none of this guesswork as to which to use. It's sometimes hard to get a good nasal swab but hey, if you don't try, you won't know!

If Dobbin has quite thick discharge, it might be worth asking your vet to give you some bisolvon powder, this helps to thin the mucus so it drains away more easily instead of blocking his nose. Santa has a little daily, I squish it onto a little slice of carrot and she gobbles it up.

Good luck, hopefully once Dobbin is on the right antibiotic (for a decent amount of time) it should all clear up well. xxx

Well the vets are stumped. He has got a week of oral and inject antibiotics - if they dont do it the vet does not know what she is going to do. She is going to do some research and get some advice this week. She took a swab from his nose but she does not think it will be enough, if not improvement in a week she may put him under to get a good swab - but sje said she does not want to do this as he may not pull through.

I am so worried bout my boy.

I am hoping the two antibiotics does not upset his tummy.

Sue
xx

Awww poor bunny :cry: Did they give you some probotics too? You could really do with some biolapis if on a lot of anti-biotics.

Whas biolapsis? What it do?

I have put probiotic C in his water - although the vet did not say to - is it ok 2?

Sue
xx

Do you know the NAME of the antibiotics your Vet has prescribed?
My UNQUALIFIED opinion is that Dobbin is being given rather a lot of different antibiotics over a long period of time. Oral antibiotics at this stage does seem to be a bit risky and I wonder why just the injections (which are less likely to cause GI disturbance) are not enough.

Again, I emphasise this is just my UNQUALIFIED opinion, but I would certainly cross question a Vet who prescribed that amount of antibiotic treatment to any of my Buns.
I agree with Tree, a probiotic is definately a good idea.

Janex

pls pls pls advise away - i dont want to lose my baby.

All three vets at the prctice had a meeting this morning because they are stumped. They decided to give this infection a good whack on antibiotics because he was on them for 3 weeks and it has not done anything.

According to my receipt the antibiotics are:

marbocyl oral
engemycin by injection

I am giving him probiotic in his water - anything else i can do, she said if he has diahrhea or does not eat to ge him straight down there.

I am sure you all know what i mean when i say he means so much to me.

HE has been sneezing since we got him from the famous pet shop!

Sue
xx

Well my concern is obviously his guts.
I think I would really want to try just the Engemycin or the Marbocyl but definately not both together. However, I am not a Vet and you need to follow PROFESSIONAL advice. All I am saying is that I would ask prescribing Vet if just one antibiotic can be tried, preferably via injection, as I am concerned re antibiotic induced Enterotoxaemia.Sadly once Bun actually has antibiotic induced Diarrhoea the damage is done.
You could also ask about giving Dobbin QUESTRAN (Cholestyramine) which is given orally and mops up the 'bad gut bacteria' before it is absorbed.
It is VERY important that you continue to seek your Vet's advice. All I say here is the opinion of a Bunny Mummy not a Vet!!

:D :D

Janex

Well I guess if Dobbin was on antibiotics for 3 weeks and it didn't do anything, that just tells me that he's been on the wrong antibiotic for those particular bacteria! Hopefully changing the antibiotic will make a difference.

If your vet is going to try and get some advice, I would try and signpost her to the Bristol rabbit clinic, I believe they give telephone advice :? (I'm sure the number has been put on here before, I'll try and dig out the details for you).

Big hugs to you and little Dobbin xx

Edit: Yep here's the details of the Bristol referrals place: http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=16383&highlight=bristol+telephone

And PS I think Dobbin looks like a lionhead/dwarf lop cross. If he was a french lop-x he'd be huuuuuuuge by now!

That is my concern to, he had 3 days of injections and then 7 of oral he then had over seven days of injections but he is no better at all so they are hoping that by hitting him with both for a week will do the job. Can i give him anything other than probotic to help his tummy - anything i can getn?

Sue
xx

Alison - thank you. How big does a french lop get?

i am so worried about him. I will pass the number onto the vet tommorrow, she said she was going to do some research so maybe she is doing that. She seems to have a soft spot for him and is doing all she can for him, she is not charging me for consultations either just medication.

Sue
xx

Back