• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Nail Not Attached!! U/D Its gone!

Diddeen

Wise Old Thumper
Ive posted before about Nala's nails... they have always been a bit curly sideways and twisted.. probably due to them being long previously before i got her. One of her nails on the right of her back right foot has also been curling upwards instead of downwards and has always been very very short as if it always breaks. Well today i just checked her claws and that nail is still there, has grown, is still curling upwards but feels very loose as if its not attached to her toe anymore. I moved her fur away from the base and there is some blood around the base of the nail altho its not broken im guessing it may be broken below the skin???? Does it require a vet check or is this ok? It didnt bother her while i was moving it about at all.. very strange :?

Zeus once snapped a nail off almost below the skin level (jumping off the sofa in a hurry when I caught him stealing apples).

I used flour as normal to stop the bleeding and phoned the vet, they just said to keep an eye on it and make sure it wasn't inflamed or looking infected. It healed up fine and his nail grew back as normal.

Caz

Thanks Caz.
The nail is still there but doesnt feel like its attached to her toe.. im guessing the skin is holding it in so there isnt any bleeding, i could just see some dried blood around the base of the nail so i am guessing it has bled beneath the skin. It doesnt seem to bother her tho so i'll just keep an eye on it.

I just checked Nala's nail and its now broken right off.. just a little stump left. Id say she has done it this evening as the stump is very clean and red :( not inflamed, just reddish in the centre

It will probably hurt less now as there is nothing to wriggly. Keep an eye it doesn't get inflamed or anything but it should just heal up and grow back :)

Tam

Tamsin said:
It will probably hurt less now as there is nothing to wriggly. Keep an eye it doesn't get inflamed or anything but it should just heal up and grow back :)

Tam
Thanks Tamsin... I think there must be a problem with the growth of that nail as its grown back before and keeps breaking (altho now this short before) and when it does grow its pointing up instead of to the grown :? Maybe this time it will be different eh :wink:
Oooh she's absolutely fine Ali! :wink:

Back