• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Caring for long haired bunns

Azraelm

Wise Old Thumper
Please could people who have long haired bunns, particularily cashmere lops tell me how they get on with caring for them please?

I've read the section on brushing etc in RR, but just wondered how long you actually spend brushing them each day?

And do rescues find them harder to rehome because of the care they need??

thanks x

I've got a cashy, I take him to the groomers :lol: . I've cut his fur down for the summer though.

oooh i thought you did! Did a search on old posts and found a piccie of your (boy i think?)- he's lovely!

So, do you think its something only a groomer can handle?? How often is that needed?

Was he a rescue bunn?

I have a lionhead. I give her a haircut every couple of months and thats all the grooming she needs. She doesn't seem to moult much at all.

I have French Angoras which are not too bad exept for when they go into a molt then they're terrible, takes 2 of us about 6 hours in total to get them totally knott free :shock: I think where their furs so long it can't fall out and instead gets tangled, its also really difficult to get down to the roots with a comb unless I have someone to hold them. They're big bunnies and know they can get away easy :shock:

Yep he's a boy, my old Man Marley :love: he's a rescue, he was from the RSPCA, he kept getting looked over because of his hair, but I'm not good with his hair at all :oops: :lol: . Which is why I have him done at the salon costs from about £15 - £30 depending on which one I go to and how long he's there. I stay with him while he has his hair done he has to go every 3 - 4 weeks.

I've got a cashmere lop.

When I first got him he didn't like being handled at all and I was nervous of him. His fur got a bit matted :oops: and I took him to the vets to have the mats shaved out.

I now spend about 20 - 30 minutes every other night grooming him. He is used to it now and just sits there and lets me get on with it and happily lays on his back for me to do his underneath. :D

000_0312-1.jpg

Simba is my worst one to keep tidy.. Nala and Fifi have very fine hair that is silky and keeps knot free so i comb them about once a week. Simba i have to comb every other day or sometimes twice a day if he is moulting as his fur is more woolly and knots very easily.. in fact as soon as ive combed him out he sits washing himself and this knots his fur together like cotton wool :roll: All mine are good at keeping themselves clean..I cut the fur on their faces to allow them to see but i dont cut any of the rest of their coat. They arent impossible to look after.. i find it very therapeutic to comb them and see them looking lovely and tidy for a little while :lol:

Back