• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cleaning out bunnies safe in pregnancy?

Bunsters

New Kit
I was just wondering this as we are trying to conceive our first and I believe that you cannot clean out cat litter trays.

Rabbits are fine, I worked with Dogs, cats & small furries & amphibians all through my pregnancy....

Cats can transmit toxoplasmosis, dogs can transmit toxocara, but only if not up to date with a regular worming programme as its the worms they carry that cause the disease.
You are more likely to contract toxoplasmosis from gardening or eating undercooked meat, which again is pretty rare...

Just normal hygiene procedures such as washing hands thoroughly after contact with any faeces and urine should be more than adequate when handling any animal as you normally would anyway....

I had a blood test early on in my pregnancy as I was a vet nurse & work insisted & I had a high level titre which means I was exposed & now immune to be susceptible to toxoplasmosis...

The midwife should be happy to send you for the same blood test, just say you work with animals ;) then your mind can be put at rest :)

Totally agree with Leanne. I asked for the blood test for toxoplasmosis when I was pregnant with my second (21 years ago - I'm feeling very old! ) I've always owned cats so I was concerned. The doctors told me that I must have had it at some point in the past because I was immune. Apparently (when not pregnant) you just display mild flu like symptoms, so you'd probably never know that's what it is.
Get the test and put your mind at ease.

Back