• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

People!

A few months ago a young girl enquired about one of our bunnys, after checking with her mother etc, we arramge a homecheck for that weekend. I rang the day before to confirm and was told they couldn't wait, didn't see why they needed a homecheck and they had got one from a pet shop!

This girl contacted me again saying she wanted another rabbit, - i asked what happened to the old one- it died after being neutered. Eventually she said it died 2 weeks after the op, most buns have the stitches out at 10 days.

Just wanted to know if this was normal? could it be an infection?

Suprisingly i told her that unfortunately i didn't think she would be suitable for looking after a rabbit- she emailed back saying she just got one from a pet shop. :cry:

I have heard of rabbits having problems immediately after- anes etc but not 2 weeks after! She emailed me back and said that her mum would be calling me when she got home- now theres something to look forward to!!!- large glass of wine needed!! :lol:

I just asked a few simple questions- which vets, did she take the rabbit inside after the op, did the vet notice anything when the stitches were taken out?

If petshops asked a few questions before selling animals then maybe this stupid woman and her pathetic daughter wouldn't have them! Then again she might lie- just feel so sorry for the rabbit.

I think she didn't take her in and left her in a dirty hutch, got an infection or pulled out her stitches etc :cry:

OMG that would be awfull if they did :cry: , although I suppose of you're going to go to the trouble of neutering the bun, you would care for it a bit.

we had a female bun spayed , she seemed to recover ok then less than a week after she had her stitches out we found she had died during the night . :cry:

i also know a friend who had her male bun neutered and he too died 3 weeks after the op . :? :cry:

i think the fact that she was even getting her neutered suggests she was along the right lines- many people who buy from petshops dont neuter or vaccinate.

Although I guess maybe she lacked suitable aftercare etc :?

They go downhill very quick too. A bun might be fine in a morning after an op, & owner goes to work, & they deteriorate during the day. They are run down too after a neuter, so maybe more prone to other diseases?

Back