• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

back to the vets - UPDATE

Dobbin

Mama Doe
As some of you know Dobbin has been poorly for the last couple of weeks with snuffles - well the vet said to give him a week antibiotic free to see what happens, well for the past two days he has had some mucus around his nose, i am a bit worried so we are back to the vets today. This has been going on for a couple of weeks now - i am so worried - any advice would be great.

Thanks

Sue
xx

don't worry, they will probably put him on antibotics again. I had a bun with snuffles that I had to inject everyother day with penicillin and every time we tried to cut it down he would start again so every other day it was.
good luck and snuggles to dobbin

Oh dear Sue, what a worry!

As Dobbin has only recently acquired this problem, there is a fair chance that with some prolonged antibiotic treatment, he could well get totally free from it. As the bacteria which cause it normally live in the nose without causing any problems, it does have a tendency to recur from time to time in some buns but as it's only recent, the infection is unlikely to have got too deep-seated so fingers crossed you can knock it on the head.

I'd be inclined to discuss the possibility of going for quite a long course of antibiotics, to ensure that as many of the bacteria, including the more resistant ones, as possible are killed off. In the past I have had success with baytril, ronaxan (doxycycline), injected terramycin (oxytetracycline) and injected penicillin. I know Jane's vet also uses Septrin (co-trimoxazole) with good success - and it's very easy to give as it's banana flavoured! It can take a few weeks or more of constant treatment to get a good result.

Good luck, and give Dobbin a nice nose rub from me!
xxx

been to the vets. She really does not want to give him any more antibiotics until he has had a week off them which is Friday, she said as he is eating, pooing, running around and is as bright as a button then we should leave him until then, BUT she said if he stops eating, pooing or i am concerned to contact her immediately.

HE is laying in his shed at the moment - he has had something to eat.

I am taking him back on Friday where she wants to try and take a swab and then start him on antibiotics again.

My poor baby.

Sue
xx

Awwww I hope Dobbin is ok, sending him lots of healing vibes and you :love: :love: , it is very worrying when they are not well :love:

Back