• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Am I doing the right thing? - steps towards bonding

Honeybun

Warren Scout
I've moved Colin round so he is in a pen next to Mia now, thinking they can get used to being close to each other before I let them out together for bonding.

Mia doesn't seem too bothered, and is more interested in me stroking her rather than Colin.

Colin however is sitting at the partition staring at her :lol: he is still eating so I guess he's ok as he is?

I'm just worrying I guess with this being my first bonding.

We had a few tender nose to nose moments at first, and she is sitting towards the partition but not as close as him lol.. guess his hormones are still kicking about, although he seems quite young.

Hi Honeybun,

Personally, I've found the easiest bonding was when I brought home the bunnies from the rescue centre in the same carry case. When I introduced two rabbits by keeping them side by side I found it took ages to get them to like eachother and it was only when we moved and they had totally neutral territory that they became friends!

Another good idea I've heard is to put the buns on the back seat of the car with the engine running. This will make them a bit nervous and look to eachother for comfort. Or you can put them in the carry case together and just drive around for a while. Then when you get home, put them in a neutral area together.

Good Luck!

Hayley

Letting them see and smell each other without actually been able to get at each other is a good start.

Are both buns neutered?

When you feel a bit more confident take them to a neutral area and see how they react. Its a very difficult thing to do as your nerves will really get the better of you. As long as no blood is spilt you have to let them get on with it. Do it for as long as you can and just keep at it.

Good luck!

I am currently trying to bond a mixed pair and a single male. They get on great through wire mesh but when put together the single just won't stop mounting the other 2.

Yes both are neutered (although Colin was only done last Friday which is why they are apart while he is healing)..

On a hopeful note, when I went to bed last night they were lay next to each other either side of the partition.

There has been no agression from either side (he is smitten by the looks of things :lol: and she's not really bothered one way or the other but is happy for him to sniff her), and the only activity I've seen is them both digging at at their side of the partition lol.

Once his stitches start to dissolve (anyone know how long this takes) as he seems to be recovered in all other ways, I will dump them both in the bathroom and see what happens!

He's really starting to settle in now, he was binkying round the living room when I was trying to catch him yesterday :lol: he eventually succumed to a slice of carrot...

Sounds hopeful! I'd give it maybe 2-3 weeks for his hormones to settle down a little before trying them together, otherwise he may still be feeling a little frisky and could annoy her by humping a bit toooo much!

Good luck :D

I think he is fairly young and doesn't seem to be displaying any hormonal behaviour (circling, spraying, grunting etc), and this was the same before he was castrated. Comparing him to Mia, he is very like she was around 3-5 months.. he is quite tiny compared to her (she is a dwarf). I gave him a cuddly toy and all he did was cuddle upto it....

He seems more intent on trying to lick her nose than anything else... he has the longest tongue I've ever seen on a rabbit :lol:

You'd probably be surprised how an innocent non-hormonal looking bun can suddenly turn all frisky when presented with access to a bun of the other sex :lol:

Awwww it certainly sounds as if things should all work out well :D

Hey, I rebonded my 2 boys after neutering - surprise surprise they were both girls originally :roll: . They'd had a fight before being neutered and Harly got hurt, so was possible may not get them 2gether. I got great advice frm a lady who runs a rescue

- put runs as close together a spossible so can smell one another
- swap each others hutches over (I did this bout twice a week, whwnever changed bedding)
- if use litter tray, swap them over as well (without cleaning)
all above will get used 2 having others scent in their territory

- once feel totally ready, take 2 a smallish place which is totally neutral and bunny safe (I used the bathroom!)
- give a cat basket each at either side of room, can sit between them initially if like, stroking both and talking to them. HAve food, toys and water there 2 distract them.
- let them come out of cat baskets and meet in own time. Expect some fur pulling and jumping around, espesh if 1 goes in2 others basket, but as long as not actually really hurting one another this is ok, jst establishing who's dominant and who's not
- aim 2 build up the time they are together daily (H & H had already met in the garden and had their fur pulling episode, so I left 4 an hour the first night, but if it's goin bad aim for 15 mins or so)
- once getting on well leave them overnight, or 4 a couple of nights (I left them 4 2 b sure!). That way if any scuffles break out during night ur on hand 2 sort them out
- in this time toally wash and disinfect hutch/run area, if poss move to new area of grass or wash slabs

Oh and ps if u go for bathroom, remeber 2 put toilet lid down every time! I 4got 1 time, heard a noise and went through 2 find a very unhappy, vey wet, Honey thumping around - he'd taken a dive down the toilet! :lol: :roll:

Back