• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Slug Invasion

jodavies

New Kit
During this wet weather, my outdoor bunnies are being invaded by slugs. They are being attracted by the fresh food. Two nights ago there were 5 slugs on the wire of Suzi's hutch and they are getting into the food bowls. At the moment I am cleaning out any uneaten food and washing their bowls daily along with usual emptying of litter trays etc. However, the slugs keep coming.

Does anyone know of any rabbit friendly anti-slug remedies?

Thanks,
Jo

I had the same problem as you really really bad with my guinea pigs. One night, one hutch had so many in it I brought my guineas indoors. I did two things one was putting down a ridiculously large amount of salt and the other is moving their hutches so that I can clear out that area completely and make sure there are no more slugs there

I have a terrible slug problem in my garden. I have recently put sticky copper tape on the bottom of my run to stop them getting in as they don't like the magnetic effect it has. I have seen a few slugs in his run but not as many as there were. May be worth putting some around the bottom of your run or hutch?

you can get cooper tape or something(?) which has a small electric charge that snails aren't supposed to be able to get over (and slugs too).
I you put that round each leg, then they should be able to get up.

Can't remember where i saw it now :?

ShivyRex said:
I have a terrible slug problem in my garden. I have recently put sticky copper tape on the bottom of my run to stop them getting in as they don't like the magnetic effect it has. I have seen a few slugs in his run but not as many as there were. May be worth putting some around the bottom of your run or hutch?

Doh! beaten to it!

woodstock said:
you can get cooper tape or something(?) which has a small electric charge that snails aren't supposed to be able to get over (and slugs too).
I you put that round each leg, then they should be able to get up.

Can't remember where i saw it now :?

I got mine in B&Q - 4 metres for £5 :)

when my garden gets invaded with slugs and snails i just put lager in a shallow tub where most of them congregate.

They drink the lager and fall in.

You have to remember to remove the tub before letting the buns out though. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Justine xx

If you go out when its wet or after dark (with a torch) my slugs are usually laying all over the lawn. I bought a pick up thing, so I don't have to touch them. Then I taken a bucket load to a nature reserve behind my house

Back