• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Oscar died today..Bif is heartbroken..help..

purplebumble

Warren Veteran
:cry: :cry: :cry:
The constant battle for help for niki also included friday being full of visits from support worker agencies..advocacy schemes and oh the boiler guy cos my boiler broke.
Unfortunately it caused Bif terrible upset and it made oscar panic too.
They had squishy poo everywhere..and in the evneing he went very quiet and was only picking at his food..and he wouldnt leave the tray and kept like pulling straw out from under him.
he was obviously having cystitis cos his bits i bathed for the fourth time that day were swollen.
I got him to the vets as an emergencey sat morning and the vet thought it may be cystitis so gave him a long acting antibiotic and his gut was not making right noises bit of gut stasis and gave him a meto something or rather shot to help.
I was hopeful cos he didnt say it didnt look good and i nursed my fat asred monster kibbles years ago thro it many times as she had so many dentals.
sat nite i was soo happy he perked up played with bif nibbled at hay etc and drank and a bit of food..bout a mouithful.
we syringed some food into him and massaged his belly earlier in the evning.
yesterday he went diownhill and we upped the food syringing..and he was too quiet.
We got up at 1.30 this morning to give him more and i found a sachet of lectade solution and made it up and he enjoyed drinking it from the syringe. But his head keot lolling over and at first i thought head tilt..but nikki said no hes tired he always does that when hes tired.
we pooped a drop of metacam to help with the pain and we cleaned him up best we could and popped him into his cage and made him comfy..nikki went to bed and i stroked him and told him he had to make it and id take him to the vet this morning as it was open for 2 hrs for emergency in the town 11 miles away.
I was meant to get up 2 hrs later but i t was 3.35am and i slept to 7.35 am and i was too scared to go downstairs and i took a clean towel ready to feed him etc and when i got down it was dark and bif was sitting by the unit i said hi..couldnt see foo foo anywher then isaw his lifeless body in the cage..he was laying on his side with his head down in the corner of the cage..i felt him and he was cold and not breathing..
have you ever vomited when you have nothing in your stomach?
We are all heartbroken..bif was nuzzling his lifeless body..my mums fallen apart..cried harder than she did for my dad..its brought it all back i guess for us all on top of feeling so bad for bif..never mind the heartbreak of losing our beloved little bunny who thought he was a puppy..

least hes with nuggy and the ladies and my dad and woozle..sleep sweetly little fella..

-------------------------------------------------------------

the thing is we got Biffykins for oscar..shes not a people bunny..no matter how much weve tried..but she was still trying herself..weve had her 5 months now from the rescue..
i had to clean out trays and change bedding and remove soiled anything..but left the teddies etc..
she must have been with him when he was dying and she was down here on her own with his body till i came down..
shes looking for him constantly and will not come near me..shes eaten some hay and been for a wee and done a huge squishy poo..but im now scared shell go the same way..im going to have to force feed her if she doesnt stop going crazy..i cant deal with this..im heartbroken..but shes devastated..
please please how can i help her..what can i do...im so lost.. :cry: :cry:

awwwww :cry: :cry: I'm so sorry for your loss, and seeing a bunny grieve is such a heart wrenching thing :cry: . Gypsy completely changed after Bilbo died last year. She became nervous, withdrawn and went off her food. The only thing you can do reguards to your bunny's greif is to give her time and make sure she is eating and pooing ok. She may come to you and be more closely bonded to you as Gypsy evenchally came to me once she realized Bilbo wasn't coming back :cry:
Do you know what caused your poor Oscar to die? was it from gut problems alone or an underlying cause? I would just keep a close eye on Biffykins, if you suspect she is ill or will become ill take her straight to the vets.
maybe in time you might consider getting Biffykins a new friend, when the time is right. I rescued Storm around 6 months after Bilbo died and he and Gypsy are very happy together now.
I'm sorry I can't be of much help, I'm sure someone else will come along and give you better advice. again, I'm so sorry for you loss :cry: xx

Oh Debbie I'm so sorry :cry: :cry:

How is little Bif doing now?

Don't forget you can always email me if you want to talk :wink:

This is so sad, so sorry it happened. Since Oscar is lonely, get Oscar an companion. It will re-fill the energy in your home, and a new re-home rabbit will keep Oscar occupied as well.

So I would get a rehome rabbit as soon as possible to fill the emptyness of everyone in your family, including the other bunnies.

I'm so sorry to hear of all the bad stuff you're having to deal with, it can't be easy.

I know this sounds really hard but you're going to have to try and keep calm and quiet when you're around her, she's stressed and she's picking up on your distress which is making her more stressed ... vicious circle, particularly if she's not too keen on people just now either. She doesn't have her Oscar to run to for reassurance any more. So take a deep breath and calm down when you go to see her, quietly tell her it's ok and it's going to get better soon.

She needs a quiet, cosy place for her to hide in for a while, like an indoor cage with one end of it covered up with a towel or blanket, so she can feel safe and secure in it, a bit like a bolt hole for some time-out. You also need to put some Bach Rescue Remedy in her drinking water, that will help to calm her down too. She's had all these things happening to her and at the moment, she can't cope, it's all too much for her. You did the right thing by cleaning out all the things you did and leaving her with her teddies, they are familiar to her.

Force feeding her could also stress her out, don't do this unless it's a last resort. Try and tempt her with any of her favourite foods, herbs, a tiny bit fruit etc. Try making a paste out of her pellet food by crushing it and mixing it with water to make a stiff paste then form it into little bite sized balls, see if she will take it that way.

It's always best to let a bunny see it's partner when it's passed away as then it knows it's gone, she'll come to terms with it quicker.

I feel that it wouldn't be a good idea to get another bunny for her until you are absolutely certain that whatever the other bun had wasn't contageous, it could be that Biff has it too but perhaps in a milder form. Have you explained your worries to a vet? Have you been in touch with the rescue you got her from? (I only ask that cos if it was one of our bunnies, we'd want to know and would try to help). You've got such a lot to cope with at the moment, I wish I was nearer, I'd come and help you :(

So, things to do:
- make her someplace quiet and safe to hide in
- remember to stay quiet and calm when you are near her, if you want you can go sit on the floor in her room with a magazine or a book, put some nice soft music on, and just be there for her. You never know, she may even come over to see what you are doing, wouldn't that be nice. Don't try to touch her if she approaches you though, just let her sniff around, talk to her in a quiet voice and tell her how beautiful she is and how much you love her
- put a few drops of Bach Rescue Remedy in her drinking water (you can also put a few drops in your own drinking water, it really does help!)
- offer her some enticing things to eat, moistened pellets, as well as her normal food and hay
- don't consider getting her a new friend just yet
- get in touch with the vet and tell them your concerns
- let the rescue know whats happened

I'm not sure if that's going to help you, but you can only try.

Sending you huge cuddles and gentle nose rubs for Biff...

Thank you all so much for your kindness..and thank you bunnyhugger for the advice...

Gem indeed ill email you later..as Bif is a mess..im so worried about her and theres nothing the vets can do...
it would be easier for her if she was people friendly..shed just started to get friendly too really well..oscar made her world safe and now hes gone...

she came out of the cage herself toady and is eating better and drinking and poping etc..but she keeps laying where he died..sleeping where he lay whilst he was so ill...and is terrified of us.
I think she will be needing a friend sooner than later or i fear we will lose her too..shes so upset. :( :cry: :cry:

im very sorry for your loss.it is so hard to cope with isn't it.i wish i could be of help but i don't know what to suggest.thinking of you all.xx

Back