• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dog Crates.... (again, I know!!)

KerinTravis

Mama Doe
:roll: I know there are lots of topics on dog crates already, but I need some help!

As a lot of you already know, my 2 buns currently have the run of over half my room(!?) Approx. 63" x 102", and then they get the run of the landing most evenings also. However, I am running out of room of my own! and have been considering getting a dog crate for them to live in, and then just letting them have free reign when I'm home, as opposed to them having a big area permenantly to themselves 24/7.

There are many reasons for me considering this,

1) The above, in that I'm running out of room for me!

2) As an example, I am this week staying at my boyfriends a lot whilst I'm off work, and I'm comming home 4-5 times a day to check on my lil' babies, whereas if they had a proper home, they could come with me!

3) My OH and I are currently saving for our own place, and much as I will have the bunnies in mind when we look for a place, I have already decided that because of how close they are used to being with people, that I would want them to have a set up in a main room of the house, eg the living room. If this was the case, they would have to have a main "base" for when we are not around.

4) Travis has started to embark on mischief when there's no-one around - ie scaling the PWS pannels that are "supposed" to keep them shut in "their" part of my room when I'm not there. He was sat on my desk, on my laptop eating my carnations the other morning, after having jumped over a PWS pannel to get there :shock: :roll: . Whilst this may be amusing to begin with, I'm concerned slightly for their own safety!?

5) They spend their days snuggled up in a corner sleeping anyway!!!?? :roll:

I've been looking at dog crates and the biggest it would appear you can get is 48" x 30" x 36". Or does anyone know if they can be got any bigger! I would put a shelf in for them, is it possible to fit 2 shelves in? but I do feel a little mean about taking away their space. :( Is this an OK size? Travis is a x mini-lop and Treacle is a lionhead x lop to give you a rough idea of their sizes.

Are there any down sides to using dog crates? Is it possible to put 2 crates together at all? as I have considered putting 2 smaler ones together (if you can) to make one bigger than 48" x 30"

Any help would be greatly appreciated! :D

I'd imagine you'd only have room for one tier - otherwise the head room will get a little cramped.

The type of cage that I have could be converted to have two side by side (ie extra long) by folding down one of the side panels, so it would be doable... You can't really do that with the front/back/top though

I'd say a 48" is good for them!

Thats what Sophie has and its big enough, esp when they get free time out!

I've been meaning to put a shelf in sophies for AGES and haven't gotten round to it, I don't think its taking away their space as its un-used space at the top anyway! :D

I wouldn't worry too much hun, your plans sound fine to me :D Not like they will be locked in it 27/7! :wink:
I got my crate for about £57 all in which was pretty good then :D

:D Thanks for your replies, I just feel a bit mean by taking away half of their current space!!! :lol: but they'll sulk for a bit and then be fine I'm sure. Travis is prob a similar size to Sophie, given that they look v similar in all their other ways! And Tre's a little larger, but she's soooo lazy that she will just sleep all day anyway!!

I may pop to P@H later (hides from hurtles of abuse!?) as they have crates out there on display, so will be able to get an idea of size properly, so's I know what I'm looking for! How easy would they be to dis-assemble and move about? - I'm gonna make the shelf removeable anyway, but just a thought?

I bought one a few weeks ago. It is the same size as the one you were looking at and its enormous! Its really heavy though and took me ages to work out how to unfold it (maybe i was just being a bit thick though :oops:) Theres loads of room to add a shelf for split levels although I haven't done that in mine but I have put a large cardboard box in it which Tia jumps on! I got mine from ebay, it was £32 and about £8 delivery.

I have a 48" dog crate which they have as a base but they have a playpen attached for when im out and have to shut them in. They are big crates and when folded up altho makes it easy to carry it is very heavy!! Im sure they will be so excited to explore their new home they wont realise its less space :wink:

My two share a dog cage, and given that they are only in it when we are out or are asleep they are absolutely fine. Quite often if we go out during the day, they wont come out when we get back and open the door - I think they also like having a space which is exclusively theirs, mind you they would live under the bed permanently if they could!! :lol:

Back