• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can hardly bear to tell you my bad news

hunnybun

Mama Doe
Two rabbits I rehomed a couple of weeks ago have been killed by the owners dog, I got the call yesterday and have been totally devastated by the news

This morning! The new owners of Sooty and sweep who only went to their new home yesterday phoned me to say their neighbours dog had got into their garden and has killed Sooty, I just can't believe it, I feel so gutted, my poor poor rabbits, today I feel like giving it all up.

Today I have cleaned all my hutches and moved them all into better positions but my heart just wasn't in it, what is the point in all my hard work!!? I know theses things happen and the families it happened did everything they could to prevent it but i just feel so responsible :cry: :cry: :cry:

omg i am so sorry ((hugs)). my two dogs are kept well away from my two. Im so sorry for you. Dont give up you do a great job and help loads of buns :)

bilbo said:
omg i am so sorry ((hugs)). my two dogs are kept well away from my two. Im so sorry for you. Dont give up you do a great job and help loads of buns :)

I have two dogs! They are kept in the kennel when the rabbits are in teh runs and they are allowed out when the rabbits are in the hutches! simple safe and effective :roll:

yep i could never live with myself if my two killed/caused my two to die. so they are always away from them.Hate to say it but letting dogs near rabbits is irresponsible and the new owners must feel heartbroken :(

Oh no how awful :cry: Can you think back to the homechecks and think if there is anything else you could insist on, if the owner has dogs, or if there are nearby dogs who could potentially get into the garden.

Big hugs to you, that's a horrible thing to have happen :cry: :cry:

I'm so sorry to hear that ((hugs))

maybe as Alison says you can include this as part of the home check, and quiz them about dogs.

Jx

How awful! But don't forget all the dozens of buns living a very happy life because of you! Its easy to focus on the really terrible (but rare) outcomes - there are far more that you are benefitting. It IS worth it!

I know excatly how you feel .
a lady who adopted of us last year rang this week to say their neighbours dog had got one of their buns .

i feel awful too but i feel more awful for the family . they have lost a loved member of the family and feel realy bad even though it isnt their fault .

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww I am so sorry, for this very sad news, sending you lots of Hugs, its not your fault so don't blame yourself, :love:

I'm so sorry to hear this but really wasn't anything you could have done to prevent this or predict it either.

Please don't blame yourself. :cry: :cry:

Justine xx

Oh how very sad :(
Of course you are not responsible, although I can fully understand that is how you feel. Please dont give up as the work you do is so important and not many people have your ability. I dont for one.
Try hard to think not only of those poor Buns but also of those who are now enjoying life in a lovely home all thanks to YOU.
And of course Rowen is only alive because of YOU.
Hugs heading North right now

Janex

Oh no, that is awful :cry:

You must be so hurt and frustrated, but those bunnies need you and you do a fab job xxxx

Kareen you do a fantastic job please don't give up.
You must feel heartbroken, but you did everthing you could for those rabbits.
I totaly understand how you must feel. But as horrible as it sounds these things happen (all tho it should'nt), no one can forsee these events.
Keep you chin up and carry on with all your hard and fantastic work you do.xxx

don't blame yourself..despite homechecks things can go wrong..I've had 2 ex honeybunnies die in their new homes needlessly so I know how you are feeling :cry:
you do wonderful work so concentrate on all the positives..sending hugs xx

Oh how terrible!! :cry:

Don't give up, it's not your fault at all!! Just think of all the bunnies you've rehomed who are really really happy in great loving homes... you should be proud of that! :D
Unfortunetly bad things happen and nothing can be done :(

Really hope you feel better soon... sending hugs xx

Thats awful! I really feel for you. But as everyone has said, there is absolutely no way you could know this was going to happen! Many dogs are absolutely fine with bunnies, my seven sit in the garden with the rabbits out all the time. You do a great job and think of all those rabbits you have helped!

there was no way you could see that coming. the people resposible for it are the dogs owners. just think of all the rabbits that are now living long happy lives because of your work, dont give up on the others that need you so much, you do such a great job.
im so glad we have such good dogs, i could never have all these pets if i didnt trust them.

Back