• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do Paint Fumes effect bunnies

runnybabbit

Alpha Buck
When I joined the forum about a year ago I seem to remember a post about Paint Fumes making a bunny really poorly.

I am about to emark on some decorating which will involve using gloss and emultion paint both upstairs and down.

I have 3 house bunnies 2 downstairs and 1 upstairs and am now worried about the fumes effecting them.

I'm sure that a lot of you have decorated since you have had your bun's and wondered what precautions you have taken other than open doors, windows etc. The painting isn't being done in the rooms the buns are in.

Hiya Chick,

When we painted downstairs in the living room (where Soph lived) we moved Soph upstairs while we painted. When we moved her back into the living room, she wasn't very impressed for the first week or so as the room had changed colour and we had a new sofa - I think she was a little dis-orientated :?

When Rudy was losing weight, the vet did ask me if we were decorating or painting - so whether it does have some effect on them, I'm not sure but could be possible.

How close are the buns to where you are decorating? When you are decorating down, can you move the buns up and vice versa? :?

hiya laura

I'm decorating my living room which is at the front of the house, whilst Candy and Dobbs live at the back and I can close 3 doors between them and the paint and also give plenty of ventalation to the room their in with the back door and windows open. The other room is the bathroom, well the ceiling which is tongue and grove which I am going to use gloss paint and Treacle lives in Amys room which is next door and ventalation is really bad upstairs, so I think I'll move her downstairs while I'm doing it but the fumes will get everywhere.

Its the VOC content that is really harmful. Gloss paint contains much higher levels than emulsion - the level should be marked on the tin. I would try and keep them out of the way as long as possible when you are doing the gloss especially. But since you can keep them fairly well separated then I wouldn't worry too much - just plenty of ventilation like you say - windows open etc.

Well, I started the painting yesterday and up to now eeryone seems ok, except my daughter Amy of all people but I think that might have more to do with her age than the paint, if you know what I mean.

I got a low odour paint from B & Q and it really is low odour, cant smell it at all.

So thanks everyone for your replies.

Karen x

Back