• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Does newspaper harm your health?

kayjay

Warren Veteran
Does anyone elses bun do what Pippa does?

She has an indoor cage which I line with newspaper and have a litter tray in the corner which she uses. I go to bed with the cage looking lovely and by morning the papers shredded into millions of bits. This morning, she's buried her hay, turned her bowl over and is still shredding. I've just gone to try and retrieve some food and put it back in the bowl and she obviously thought I was going to disturb her home and gave me a warning nip :roll:

I wasn't going to put paper in last night but my OH said as she enjoys it so much it would be mean not to. However I'm worried she can't find her hay or food and might ingest newspaper along with the hay (I'm sure this is happening as there are millions of bits of paper). Will this harm her?

My bun Darby (now at the bridge :( ) used to do this and it never did her any harm. If she got near the phone book it was like christmas for her :lol:

Snowy used to do this when she was indoors.

I stopped putting newspaper in because I didn't know if it was harmful.

She is now outside in a playhouse, so no newspaper needed.

Justine xx

My bun used to do that so gave her an argos catalogue instead and she is working her way through that. She doesn't seem to actually eat it, just shred it. Fortunately the new one is now out!

Hiya Kathryn

All my bun's eat newspaper, in fact it's one of Candy's fav passtimes.

I put newspaper on the floors of the hutches and they all dig at it, shred it, mix their hay food toys and everything they can get there paws on with it, then go and have a really good rummage around till they find what they are looking for. It keeps them amused for hours.

I also give them yellow paged to shred and play with and they love them too.

Karen x

runnybabbit said:
Hiya Kathryn

I put newspaper on the floors of the hutches and they all dig at it, shred it, mix their hay food toys and everything they can get there paws on with it, then go and have a really good rummage around till they find what they are looking for. It keeps them amused for hours.

Karen x

Thanks Karen, she's still at it now, been 2 hours now, as you say she seems to be having fun.

How's MJ?

the print used to be toxic (it was at one time recomended to keep guinea pigs and rabbits on newspaper because when absorbed through thair skin it was an effective insecticide, ridding the animal of mites and fleas. long term howevwer it was a carcinogenic :roll: ) now it supposedly safe.
would try to encourage other eatting habits though..lots of fresh apple branches :wink:

Right the times 10.20 pm and she's still shredding :roll: She's been at it now for 14 hours, surely her bed must be perfect now? She seems quite happy doing it though I can hardly see her for newspaper :lol:

princessmoo.jpg

Seems a common bunny pastime :lol:

definately a bunny pastime... mine only really does that either when shes totallly hyperactive, or if I've ddone something to displease the princess. lol

kayjay said:
runnybabbit said:
Hiya Kathryn

Karen x

Thanks Karen, she's still at it now, been 2 hours now, as you say she seems to be having fun.

How's MJ?

Ooooo Kathryn

He is gorgeous.... love him to bits.

When I go out in the mornings, Bobby and Pippa are uncovered first (as they've been here longest), I talk to them all the time and MJ shakes the hutch door until I uncover him and he's so pleased to see someone and is just dying to have a cuddle and of course I have to oblige..... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Kay was over Sat and had a really big cuddle with him...... he really is a snuggle bun.

See you soon

Karen x

i worry about poppy eating paper - she loves shredding it and like others on here keeps her busy for hours! :lol:

i occationally catch sight of her with it in her mouth, i take it off her and fill her hutch up with more hay - she seems fine with it though - maybe something to do with their digging instint?

Back