• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bad Rehoming- Advice needed

Hi

In May i rehomed 2 buns Chip and Cally to a couple on the Wirral, Homecheck and the usual lengthy chats were carried out inc- how expensive rabbits are etc.

Had a phone call last night and they have decided to rehome them to someone. Apparantly they didn't realise they couldn't do this- i always go through each point on the adoption form so that they understand and it is also copied in the adoption pack they get.

I have asked her to email through the details of the person who now has them so i can go through the adoption process with them(without the adoption fee). They then had the front to say that they had 2 other baby rabbits and would need help neutering as its a male and female- i was speechless!

Any ideas- has left me feeling very upset- and thinking Whats the bloody point .

oh no .
dont realy know what you should do , they have broken their adoption agreement but in reality it might not be so easy to get them to hand them back . As for the other buns :shock: :shock: some people :evil:

what i will say is please dont feel bad . whilst we do check people out , rehoming buns involves trusting those people who are adopting buns from us .
no amount of questioning/homechecking can guarentee that it will be a perfect home .

we are only human and sometimes we will be duped or just get it wrong ....unfortunatly :(

Angie

On our agreement it states-

'will not sell on the rabbits(s) and if unable to look after will contact the rescue'

and then repeated in the adoption pack. One thing i always emphasise is that any problems etc bring them back- no problems.

So if i ring her up and she claims not to have the address contact details of the people involved - what should i do then?

How awful - made all the worse because she's gone and got some more! :evil:

I'm not sure there's an awful lot you will be able to do if she won't give you the details of the new owner.

Maybe it's an opportunity to tighten up the wording on your contract - she could probably wriggle out of it by saying that she didn't sell them, she gave them away, and she did contact you - even though it was after she had already given them away. Perhaps change the wording to "Will not pass ownership of the rabbit(s) to any other person. If unable to continue to look after, must contact the rescue in the first instance for the rabbits to be returned". Or something similar to that anyway :?

Good luck with this one, how heartbreaking. Hopefully their new home is a lovely person who saw they weren't being looked after as they should be, and offered to take them.

bowdenbunnyrescue said:
On our agreement it states-

'will not sell on the rabbits(s) and if unable to look after will contact the rescue'

and then repeated in the adoption pack. One thing i always emphasise is that any problems etc bring them back- no problems.

So if i ring her up and she claims not to have the address contact details of the people involved - what should i do then?

just threaten :wink: to take it further considering SHE has broken the terms of adoption, she if that wil shift her, other than really taking it further what choice do you have?

you could threaten legal action but im not sure how youd stand and you might end up with court costs if you actualy took it that far .

threat of legal action might do it though . :?

oh golly i dread having something like this happen :(

It's a good idea to put things in writing (typed not hand written) as it has a more official feel. I'd send a letter stating that:

Further to your telephone conversation of 26 Aug 2006 stating you nolonger have Chip and Cally in your possession, may I draw your attention to the adoption contract you signed on [date] which is a legally binding document. In accordance to the adoption contract (contract sounds more scary/official than aggreement) you must return Chip and Cally to Bowden Bunny Rescue if you are no longer able to care for them.

Please contact me to arrange their return within 14 days or provide a contact address and telephone number for the person currently caring for them. Failure to comply with this request may result in court action for breach of contract.

In future, I'd also be tempted to change the wording on your contract to make it a bit clearer that the bunnies must go back to you. E.g.

'The ownership of any animals adopted through Bowden Bunny Rescue must not be passed on to anyone not part of this agreement. If you are no longer able to care for your rabbit(s) they must be returned to the rescue.'

Tam

Thanks for that, she still hasn't emailed me, i have her email address- i am going to email the letter to her- won't be able to print out a letter till Tuesday when in work :(

I completely agree about the wording of the agreement- stupidly or naively i just thought that by going through it with them -saying that no matter what- change in circumstances etc bring the rabbit(s) back.

Thank you so much again- your advice has been reassuring and extremely helpful :wink:

to be honest I have had this happen and there is nothing you can usually do as they say they havn't got the new owners address and all the usual excuses all you can hope is they have gone to a lovely home

Grrr I'm angry on your behalf! Some people really don't seem to have a grasp of the english language! I bet even if you higlighted that part and blew it up to font 300 they'd still 'not see it' what idiots!

Back