• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Please help

fifi0529

Alpha Buck
Some of you may remember i mentioned that my boyfriends aunt and uncle were buying a baby rabbit for their 4year old. I got loads of info for them. they got pip anyway and as predicted beth isn't interested anymore. poor pip is outside in a hutch with a run attached.they don't shut her off in the hutch at night even though foxes have been sniffing around. there is a very thin layer of bedding and she doesn't have any real shelter. she is never brought out for cuddles, only a handful of food thrown in twice a day. When questioned about the way pip is treated all they say is "thats how they live in the wild".

Am really angry as i gave them all the info which they ignored and are so ignoant that they can't understand pip is a domestic animal which they need to care for. Am also really worried as the weather is getting colder and wetter and about the foxes.

Have threatened to call sspca but o/h asked me not to sayin he will fix it but has done nothing. am really tempted just to do it. Any advice on how to handle he situation would be much appreciated.

Fiona xxx

RSPCA will not do anything in this se as she has adequate accomodation, food and water. You need to juts keep talking to them?! poor bunny :cry:

Unfortunately the RSPCA won't be able to do anything - unless the rabbit is sick/suffering then all they can do is offer advice. Although I guess sometimes a visit is enough to scare people into action. As long as she has a hutch/run, food and water they probably wouldn't even give a warning.

What's the four year old like? If the parents are usless work on the kid. You don't need to makes things complicated. Just do it a little at a time and explain it by associating things with what they understand. So for example - the bunny likes toys too - maybe take her toy shopping or buy her a toy for the bunny for her birthday.

You can explain the bedding by discussing how she snuggles under a duvet at night and the bunny has straw.

You'll need to do it a bit at a time and keep it simple but four year olds can be trainned ;) Kids are well practiced at nagging parents too so if you teach her things she might have more luck than you ;)

Tam

Beth is totally disinterested. when they first got pip she was scared in case the rabbit scratched her so now wont go near her. i would take her if they offered but apparently they think the're doing it right even though they've been told their not.

Fiona

Back