• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Flystrike-GRAPHIC But Interesting...

my bun lilly was put to sleep with fly strike last month. i was given a few options of treatment etc, but she hadent yet reached the state of shock as my vet told me maggots produce toxins which can initially make it pain and stress free. lilly was still eating and running around when i found her so i thought it best to prevent her having to feel the stress and pain and had her pts. her wounds were much worse than the rabbit in this case study, they went up towards her neck.

its a horrible horrible thing to have to see in one of your pets and it is a condition which can happen very rapidly even when you use all the best husbandary techniques. i checked lil's bum, she was litter trained and that was cleaned every day. the vet said it was likely to be due to an underlying cause such as soft pellets.

its not an easy thing to get over, and im still dreaming about it and worrying about Winston. Hope everyone can read that artical and see jus how serious it is and be extra vigilant when checking and cleaning buns.

Fiona x

This happened to me last year Fiona, and it was horrific. I decided to let Nougat try and recover, but to no avail. She died 10 days later, as her immune system had just gone :cry: So sorry you had to go through this with Lilly.
Again, my bunnies are cleaned out regularly and checked regularly, but Nougat was overweight and I think this contributed to it.
I make sure all the bunnies are clean, and that there are no changes in their diet that would lead them to produce excess caecals.

My heart goes out to any bun who had this as My Bilbo got flystrike last year :cry: Bilbo was also spotlessly clean and a house bun, although he was old, a bit over weight and had a tumor which kept growing in his bottom. Some how flies are attracted to bunnies with some kind of illness, even if they are clean :cry:
The vet only kept Bilbo in over night, they had opened him up to removed the maggots :cry: :cry: :cry: he had stitches and was shaved like in the picture. my poor boy went into shock and didn't eat. he was rushed into the vets but it was a combination of shock, pain and statis which killed him :cry: :cry: :cry:
It's so easy to blame yourself, I still do and last night I had a horrible dream that maggots were eating my buns alive :cry: :cry: :cry: so it still affects me too :cry:

I had a bun die of this a few years ago it was horrible, I felt so guilty as I'd left her with my parents for a while while I moved into a new house by the time I was told there was something wrong with her it was much too late :(

Back