• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Moving my house bunnies outside

racheyrabbit

Alpha Buck
Hi everyone,
I've got to move out of my flat and into some sort of flatshare - lots of nice places, but none of them seem to like Kahlo & Diego :?

Currently they're pretty much free range house bunnies who have a cage which houses their litter tray, hay rack etc. They are shut in their cage at night, but are free the rest of the time. Ideally when I move I'd have them in my room, but that doesn't seem to go down well with people...

So, I'm now having to approach places saying that K&D will live in the garden :(. I just feel so guilty and hate the thought of not having them around all the time - it isn't like their particularly friendly in terms of strokes etc, but they do follow me around the flat (because they generally think I'm heading towards the fridge....). I've been looking into buying them the Thistle Hall hutch from P@H and a run to attach to it, but I just feel really guilty and upset about it all.

I suppose I just want some reassurance that they'll be alright outside when they've been used to so much freedom and company. Hopefully it won't be forever and in 6 months or a year I'll be able to move and they can come back inside....

oh dear .
i think they will get used it . especialy if they still get lots of attention and at least they are together .
could be worse at least that way you get to keep them

dont feel guilty sometimes we have to do whats best all round ...even though its not what we realy want

Angie

Aw, I agree, but i'm sure they'll get used to it.

Is it the landlord or potential housemates objecting to house rabbits? Might be worth looking around a bit more- ie) easy roomate/flatmate click etc

Oh no :cry: Try and look round a bit more if you can, you never know there may be some animal friendly people out there!

I think it is much worse for buns to go from inside to outside than the other way round. They will be so used to their "home comforts" and being around you all the time.

They look so sweet and I think they will hate it going outside and you will only worry all the time ... especially with winter coming. At the end of the day if you have to, you have to but at least they have a lovely caring owner to look after them properly :)

I hope you sort your dilemma out, poor you :(

Oh Dear :(

Well if they are going to have to live outdoors I suggest you move them out ASAP before the colder weather kicks in. It will be worse moving them outdoors in the late Autumn/Winter as they wont have had a chance to get used to it and may get chilled. Bunnies can cope with low temperatures (as long as adequate bedding is provided) but not drastic changes in temperature.
I really hope you can find a flat share that will accept House Rabbits.

Janex

To be honest rabbits are usually happier outside as long as they have enough space. So really go all out to get them a really big hutch and run. If the hutch and run are on slabs they can have access to it all night, which they will love. I would look on ebay too not just at the Thistle Hall one. Or get a carpenter to make you one with a nice tall run as most runs you can buy are too low. If you find a place where you can let them have a free run when you are there too even better:)

all of my outdoor bunnies have at some stage been house bunnies and to be honest they all seem happier out there (apart from round november 5th :evil: ), even Niamh who used to be terrified to go in the garden and wouldn't get off my lap, happily hops around and doesn't even look into the house! I have Amy as a house rabbit and I think she'd prefer to be out too but I have no more room out there!

I live in a rented house too they didn't mind about rabbits, still feel a bit embarrassed when they come round to check the place and there's cages everywhere, but I make sure they're clean and they've not complained!

At one point when they checked I had 5 rabbits, 2 hamsters, 2 turtles and 3 fish tanks in the small 2 bed house :oops:

Hey rach!
Don't feel so bad! I disagree that "they will hate it". They will adapt and be fine. Like you say, they're not so much into strokes and they have each other. I am in a similar position where I am having to move my two house bunnies outside. I felt terrible like you do but I really think they will be fine and their accomodation can be designed specifically around THEIR needs rather than fitting in with what I need aswell indoors. Anyway once you have found people to share with and they get to know them they may enjoy them spending more time indoors :wink:

Yes don't worry they will adjust and perhaps they will feel sorry for them when it gets cold and let you bring them in the house!! Then they may fall in love with them and let them stay there. You never know. They will be fine.Pam

Dont feel bad -
I agree they will quickly adapt.... make their new home as homely as possible - I do think if you are going to have to put them outside in the next few months then get them used to it soon cos of the weather...
but you can always buy a snugglesafe or something to help with the warmth thing. :)

I moved my house bun outside this spring when I got him a companion and he is sooo much happier.... he binkies all the time and loves laying out in the fresh air.
I spend ages making sure they have plenty of hay to snuggle into, and making sure they can't get wet if it rains - but they never bother with my efforts at all and lay out in the open space!!!! They push all their hay from their nice dry, warm, draught-free sleeping quarters to the floor of the run!!!!
Don't worry and don't feel guilty - change is hard but its not always for the worst!
They cerrtainly won't hate it - rabbits are after all outdoor creatures, and given the proper care and hutch, they'll be fine and perfectly content. But I agree with doing it soon while the weather is still mild.

my 3 single bunnies were all house rabbits at some stage, and like others here have commented, they all seem a LOT happier outside than they ever did indoors - more energetic and just brighter in general.

I expect your rabbits will be frightened at first though, due to the noise outside from traffic, barking dogs etc. - Mine were a bit freaked out and looked unhappy for a week or 2, then they settled in and felt secure in their hutches and really seem to enjoy being out there.

I would advise you get a big (at least 2x5) hutch over run type hutch though, and put it on concrete - I'm sure the type of hutch was a lifesaver during the heatwave we've had, as there's no shade on my hutches and they face south - The rabbits stayed in the shaded run part, laying on the cooler concrete - and of course when it rains they have shelter from the hutch over them too - I love that design and I'd get it again. The 2x4 that Maa's in is too small for a big litter tray plus the ramp to the top floor - I can't imagine 2 rabbits in it except just overnight. I put big rugs over mine at night for security, even through the heatwave, as I think it settles them and puts foxes and cats off.

They will be fine! :D

Back